Large Scale Central

Phoenix P8 and Bachman K-27 questions.

Hello,

I have recently obtained a K-27 with Airwire and a P8 already installed. The method the previous owner used to set the chuffs was the based on motor current. However, being from the smaller scales has made be pay quick and unending attention to the fact that the chuffs are off. With that being said, I know the chuff sensors in the K-27 need some power going through them before they start working. If I directly wired the P8 into the cuff sensor leads, would this work? I know there is something funny about the way they are wired. I believe they are reversed from the normal setup. Would someone please advise me on how to do this? Lastly, I have downloaded the sound driver off the phoenix website and installed it on my computer. What type of plug do I need in order to connect the locomotive to the computer?

Thank you so much for your help!

John

Here is the Phoenix manual describing how to do ti.

http://www.phoenixsound.com/pdf/BachK27.pdf

Hi John, you will need to buy a special cable made by Phoenix. You might try RLD or Reindeer Pass to see if they stock the cable. As you discovered the downloads are free.

Changing the chuff to the Bachmann chuff sensor takes more work. You need to solder a NPN transistor to the Bachmann circuit board, labeled “For Extra Connection” use the K-27 Connection Diagram as a guide.

The Phoenix P8 “trigger orange wire” not the DCC orange wire, then connects to the middle leg of the transistor. Solder the base leg to Pin J1:5, solder the emitter leg to J1:7. QSI has published a page of with instructions. I have a hardcopy of it. Maybe others will post better details. I can scan the page and send to your email.

Don

Interesting, I see the mods to allow this to work from track voltage, a bit more complex, but makes sense, you need the Phoenix to power the chuff circuitry and add a couple of transistors to do so, and don’t know why they don’t give an alternative to wiring the smoke unit instead of just telling you to leave it off permanently. A bit more rewiring would fix that.

Nice complete instructions from Phoenix though.

Greg

Thank you for helping me. What type of PNP transistor would I need? Also, I checked Reindeer Pass and RLD with no luck as to finding the cord. Is there any suitable alternative?

John

John Skiba said:

Thank you for helping me. What type of PNP transistor would I need? Also, I checked Reindeer Pass and RLD with no luck as to finding the cord. Is there any suitable alternative?

John

John not sure what you looked up but RLD does have the cord here is the link http://rldhobbies.com/pho-1200-00.aspx

Richard

2n2907 is what is typically used for pnp, 2n2222 for npn

Greg