Large Scale Central

SD40Qrm Build

Canadian National SD40Qrm Build

Teaser for my upcoming 2018 project.

In the mid 90’s, CN remanufactured (rm) 29 SD40 units. (6000-6028) The front of the cab and nose were completely redesigned, and internally, Q-tron computer control systems were installed. I believe this is where the Q designation came from.

Coming Soon.

Are you going to build these out of the USA Trains SD40-2 or will they be mostly scratched?

Chris

Chris,

It will be a heavily modified SD45. They are the same length, so that will save me some work. The center doors and part of the DB will be from an SD40-2. I’m not sure about the tail yet.

Green-Aristocraft SD45 / Yellow-USA Trains SD40-2 / Blue-Scratch / Red-Undecided

Shane

Looks like a fun project. Motivation for me to kick my rear in gear and get my snow plow finished so I can finish my GP30..

Cool, looks like quite a bash. Is the rear end section different that what USA did on it’s 40-2?

Chris

Craig, I have to be careful not to get sidetracked before completing my SD60f. Do you have a thread for your GP30?

Chris, the tail is an exact copy of the Aristocraft GP40, but GP40’s are hard to find, and I’m not willing to sacrifice one. I can make a copy, or maybe I’ll come across a reasonably priced GP40 in the future. I could turn a GP40 into a yard slug to free up the needed parts.

Shane

Shane,

I do have a build thread. I haven’t touched the model in years. I got hung up on trying to 3D print new side frames, and pushed it aside. It’s actually sitting on the shelf right next to the snow dozer…

I have a long list of parts I need to design; side frames, 48" roof fans, new photo etch steps, new front and rear pilots. That’s about it that I can think of off the top of my head.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/18048/bn-gp-30-build?page=1

Shane,

I will be following your conversion. I did a Southern Pacific SD40R a couple of years ago using the Aristo SD45 chassis and a GP40 shell as the starting point. 1990’s rebuild version. I chose 7303 because of the interesting ditch light and mu setup.

I just want to add a little info here on why Shane will also use the Aristo SD45 for his SD40 chassis. I have seen many times where the SD40-2 and SD40 have been used in posts and elsewhere as if they were the same loco. Different animals. The SD40 was actually built by EMD on the same frame as the SD45. Overall length between coupler pulling faces is 65ft. 9.5 in. The SD40-2 is a different frame and measures out at 68ft. 10in. Southern Pacific’s SD40T-2’s were even longer at 70ft. 8in. I’m looking forward to following his build.

Shane,

I know the Aristo GP40’s are pricey if you can find one but there is bright side. I bought one for my SD40 build just to get the long hood shell. I then used the rest to build a GP38 using a USA GP38 long hood. You might even be able to pick one up from USA or maybe a junker somewhere.

Craig - Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it.

Paul,

Your work is fantastic. Do you have any videos of your layout? A GP40 shell would definitely save me some work. I currently have 3 GP40’s, but one is painted up as an old standard cab zebra unit, and the remaining two I want to convert to wide cabs. You’re right about the GP38-2 conversion being a good option. I don’t know about you, but I find the Aristo cab windows and wheel size to be far more accurate then the USA Trains.

My SD60f is similar in length to your SD40T-2. It is 71’ 2 " coupler to coupler. The full size unit weights 194 tons, so my little unit should weight a scale 6.7 tons. Mine is off a few tons. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

How did you wire up your ditch lights?

I need to get outside to shovel my sidewalks, and then hopefully I can update my SD60f build thread later tonight.

Shane

I am going to covert my SD40Ns to 40" wheels from NWSL as well as ditch the floppy axle. Going to attempt to make a new mounting bracket to pull the side frames in closer too. Didn’t realize there was an issue with the cab windows, going to have to check that out. I might have to go away from Alum. Rail if I make it to scale weight.

Chris

CN SD40-2

Aristocraft vs. USA Trains. Not only are the USA Trains too small, the door window is smaller yet. The only units I remember having small door windows were the used standard cab Dash 8’s CN picked up 4 or 5 years ago.

Shane Stewart said:

Craig - Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it.

Paul,

Your work is fantastic. Do you have any videos of your layout? A GP40 shell would definitely save me some work. I currently have 3 GP40’s, but one is painted up as an old standard cab zebra unit, and the remaining two I want to convert to wide cabs. You’re right about the GP38-2 conversion being a good option. I don’t know about you, but I find the Aristo cab windows and wheel size to be far more accurate then the USA Trains.

My SD60f is similar in length to your SD40T-2. It is 71’ 2 " coupler to coupler. The full size unit weights 194 tons, so my little unit should weight a scale 6.7 tons. Mine is off a few tons. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

How did you wire up your ditch lights?

I need to get outside to shovel my sidewalks, and then hopefully I can update my SD60f build thread later tonight.

Shane

Lets see. Prototype weight is 194 tons, or 388,000 pounds. Divided by the cube of scale (29) it should weigh 15.9 pounds. So ya lost me there.

Yep, definitely going to have to correct that, thanks for the heads up Shane.

Thanks David, I thought that seemed high. I guess dividing by 29 is 1 dimensional as opposed to 3 dimensional? You taught me something. Volume - I get it. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Shane

Well, I’ve made some progress on this kitbash. I made the hardest decision of my G scale life, and cut up one of my BN GP40’s. I had to move the cab back 13/16" which required cutting away part of the raised walkway. I also had to cut away part of the steel frame to allow the GP40 long hood to fit in place. I added some frame work to the top of the long hood to accept the SD45 DB. The rear of the DB was cut away, and replaced with two pieces cut from the GP40 DB.

Shane

Off to a good start Shane.

I wish I had known before you cut up the GP40. I have a brand new one here that I’m probably not going to use. I was going to bash it but then came to my senses when I looked at my storage shelf with 30 plus locos. More than I can run as it is. It even has the updated motors.

Oh Good Lord …here we go again!!! I ain’t done nothing but waive my weiner around for a few years but Shane your builds are very inspirational!