Large Scale Central

Signare for the Railroad Museum of New England

Al Pomeroy is the shop foreman for the Railroad Museum of New England / Naugatuck Railroad in Thomaston, CT. Last summer at TrainOps we go talking about making a custom drum head for their Christmas trains. A few weeks ago Al contacted me with a design and asked for some help. I had planned on donating the sign acrylic and cut vinyl. When I asked my boss at the sign shop he offered to donate the labor and materials to make a custom shape sign panel and Al had a very nice .125" welded aluminum cabinet fabricated.

Today we met at the RMNE Shops to marry the custom panel to the custom cabinet and install lighting. We cursed a bit at the rubber gasket, but after three attempts we got it installed and it looked great. While I was there I got a behind the scenes look at the Christmas train being decorated. Here are a few pics - First gasket being installed between the aluminum box and acrylic face…

LEDs were installed directly to the back cover to make servicing easy. Power is from a 12V/1500MA wall wart…

Closed and lit up

The back…

Al poses with his new drum head…

New Haven FL-9 2019 will lead the Northern Lights Limited. All decorated up with volunteers working on decorating passenger cars in the background…

Their beautiful Rutland Combine all decorated up and will be the First Class service car and is already sold out…

I’ll be going back after Thanksgiving when the trains are running for some action shots!

Fantastic!

-Kevin.

Jon Radder said:

Al Pomeroy is the shop foreman for the Railroad Museum of New England / Naugatuck Railroad in Thomaston, CT.

Today we met at the RMNE Shops to marry.

I cannot help I was blessed with the gift of immaturity!

I didn’t even get to see the engagement ring?

Excellent work guys!

Now that is using combined talents. Wow! Something to really be proud of. Heck, I’m proud to say I know you guys with such talent. Nice!

That’s awesome!

What they said…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Jon,

It looks GREAT! Aren’t drum heads round? (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

*I had to look up what Signare meant…

Signare was the name for the Mulatto French-African women of the island of Gorée in French Senegal during the 18th and 19th centuries. These women of color managed to gain some individual assets, status, and power in the hierarchies of the Atlantic Slave Trade

Sign was definitely worth the hassle.

Joe Zullo said:

Jon,

It looks GREAT! Aren’t drum heads round? (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

*I had to look up what Signare meant…

Signare was the name for the Mulatto French-African women of the island of Gorée in French Senegal during the 18th and 19th centuries. These women of color managed to gain some individual assets, status, and power in the hierarchies of the Atlantic Slave Trade

I think you will find prototype examples both round and rectangular. The name definitely comes from the round versions. This one on the 20th Century Limited comes to mind…

It was supposed to say Signage, but I fat fingered the title and didn’t notice 'till after I posted. Can’t edit on my own and it wasn’t worth bothering Bob about.

Jon,

I didn’t think you really meant Mulatto women!

I thank you for the drum head clarification!

Great work on both the drum head and the train. Thank you for the pics and will look forward to more(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Very cool!

I want to thank Jon again for the fine work on this drumhead. we decided to use a square design because it maximized the lettering, as well as the fit to the Budd car it will be mounted on. the Budd car will be positioned by the pedestrian crossing at our station in Thomaston Ct, and gives the customers a place to take photographic Memories’ of there trip. in past years we had a locomotive on the north end of the train, which had large sign boards that lite up. the change in the consist has now put the locomotive on the south end of the train, and is a better thing as we do not have an idling locomotive on the platform.

AL P.

Looks great Jon!

Jon great job and donation.

Richard