Large Scale Central

Bachmann Steam loco to tender connectors?

Just went cross-eyed for an hour looking up electronics outfits that sell mini electrical connectors. I have a Bachmann Industrial Mogul and the tender electrical connector and pigtail were missing. (Used item) I figure Bachmann buys their connectors from someone in China and it ought to be a standard part…somewhere. I need tender female connectors and pigtails. One 2 wire/ one 4 wire. OR, I can give up on that and wire in my own versions. (Which can be easier to deal with…B’mns are pretty fragile.)

Anyone else deal with this issue? It seems common to Bachmann to have troublesome connectors.

Dennis,

One easy option is the wires and connectors sold for r/c servos. They have 3 wires and can be purchased inexpensively as extenders or as single cables. If you need a 2 and a 4, then 2x3 will give you the same thing.

Here’s a 5-pack for $2.39. (Just search aliexpress.com or amazon for “rc cables”.)

Good idea, Pete. By-passing Bachmann’s set up has a lot of benefits. I did do more research and I am now with the belief that Bachmann’s jacks are, “JST XH style 2.5mm.” Cheap, so I ordered a few just to see. They will probably be shipped from somewhere out of our solar system - likely another planet. So I won’t know for a while. Between this and your idea, I should be good to go.

Thanks, Dennis

Like these?

http://jtechphotonics.com/?product=molex-jumper-2-wire-connector

No, this is what I came up with: https://www.amazon.com/2-5-2-Battery-Connector-Female-120mm/dp/B01L5PT6I0/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1508454220&sr=8-17&keywords=5+sets+JST+XH

Dennis

Dennis, are you trying to match the existing connectors, i.e. you have the socket, and need the matching plug (or vice versa)

OR

are you just looking for multipin connectors? If so, I would recommend getting a single connector for all wires you need. How many do you need?

Greg

Greg, I’m trying to match the factory Bachmann pair of connectors that are factory flush mounted behind and below the back of the cab opening. I was given a tender where the companion, “plugs,” and pigtails were missing. If what I ordered is wrong, I’ll remove the Bachmann connectors and start over completely. At that point I’ll use more robust fittings and good wire. For the price of these things, I ordered what I did for more than this one reason, and I like to have some of this stuff on hand anyway.

Identified: I ordered plugs, they arrived and they work fine. Perfect fit. Please note that the little bumps that somewhat, “lock,” the plug to connector on the locomotive are very positive, and it took me prodding with an Xacto knife point to dislodge the plug. Snug fit.

Connectors are : “Jst Xh 2.5 4 pin connector with 200 mm wire pigtail, male and female, $3.79 And, Jst Xh 2.5 2 pin battery connector male and female, $3.49.” Got 5 sets of each. Also came with the mating connector without pigtail for fixed male mounting. I only needed the female plug with pigtail, but I have sets now.