Large Scale Central

Revo Tx Issue

Hello all…

My club was asked to participate in Travel Town’s Depot Day today. We set up a 3 loop track and ran trains for hours entertaining both kids and adults alike. I was first up this morning to run and when I fired up my Revo transmitter, the screen was missing the top third of the display. I was able to run, but the info on the top 3rd is critical. I posted on G scale .net and someone suggested taking the back off and making sure the ribbon cable to the display didnt come loose. Checked that and it is fine. Someone else suggested pulling the batteries, did that and still nothing. This unit is only a few months old and has very little run time on it. Any ideas??? Will Revo stand behind their product?

What is the warranty duration? Do you have any reason to doubt they will honor their warranty?

This is not the dying Aristo, nor the short lived Crest standalone, it’s 2 dedicated people running it and making a go of it.

Definitely looks like failed connection or damaged screen.

Since no visible damage, looks like the component failed.

Greg

All i can say is call them http://www.revoelectronics.com/return/

good luck and let us know how you make out

Richard

Greg - Looks like a 1 year warranty, no reason to believe they wont honor it, Im hoping they are 2 stand up guys.

Richard - Thanks…I didnt see that when I was looking on their site, I will send an email tonight and follow up with a call in the morning.

I have known Navin since 2000, 17 years is good enough for me!

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

I have known Navin since 2000, 17 years is good enough for me!

Greg

Me too…

Navin is good people… A great asset and support to the hobby… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Bob Frein said:

Hello all…

My club was asked to participate in Travel Town’s Depot Day today. We set up a 3 loop track and ran trains for hours entertaining both kids and adults alike. I was first up this morning to run and when I fired up my Revo transmitter, the screen was missing the top third of the display. I was able to run, but the info on the top 3rd is critical. I posted on G scale .net and someone suggested taking the back off and making sure the ribbon cable to the display didnt come loose. Checked that and it is fine. Someone else suggested pulling the batteries, did that and still nothing. This unit is only a few months old and has very little run time on it. Any ideas??? Will Revo stand behind their product?

Bob - we had a similar problem with one of our club’s transmitters - instead of a part of the display being out the whole display was gone. I opened it up and found that the display’s ribbon cable was a bit skewed. I opened the latch that holds it in place, re-positioned the cable, reset the latch and it was back in operation. The photo shows a “before repair” view of the connection. Your unit may be newer than this one and could use a different connector.

Caution: If you are not familiar with this type of connector or uncomfortable experimenting with it (they are fragile and can easily be damaged) you may want to leave it to Navin.

dave

Dave, thanks…I did open it up and the connector is fine, jiggled it a bit and still nothing. I emailed Navin and he is going to replace the LCD screen at no charge, although he wanted me to include a blank check made out to him to cover shipping back to me. I dont send blank checks to anyone so I told him to re use the priority mail flat rate box that I send it in and included $10 in the box. I am still miffed that he wants me to pay shipping both ways for something that is under warranty. I did since I need the TX back for another event in 2 weeks…and I let him know that. Hoping for the best!

Not taking sides Bob, but normally you pay to get it there, and the manufacturer pays the return postage. So I guess I would be a bit miffed myself.

They are selling the stuff at a discount, but I would hope this policy is at least on their site so it’s not a surprise to customers as it was to you.

Luckily it is small enough a small box and not a lot of postage.

But at least it was completely covered under warranty (I always try to look on the bright side)

Let us know the result please.

Greg

Bob, yea I thought it rather inappropriate for him to ask for a blank check. He should have asked for a certain dollar amount, and then refunded you the difference. When I read that he asked you for a blank check, my first thought was that if you are handing out blank checks, I could use one too. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Greg Elmassian said:

(I always try to look on the bright side)

Greg, you do? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)Really? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Update…

Shipped out via USPS Priority Mail Monday Oct 16, arrived and “delivered” on Wednesday Oct 18. I didnt hear from Navin so I sent him an email on Saturday morning and he responded, I dont have it, please send me the tracking number. He looked around and called me and said it is not in his pile of boxes. He went to the post office and they said it was there but couldnt find it. He went back this morning and they still couldnt find it. He knows I am in a jam and need it back for Saturday. I asked him to send me a loaner TX until we get this sorted out…said he had to ask the “big boss”…which I thought he was, but never answered yes or no.

He went back to the post office later today and they had it. He now has it and said he will replace the LCD screen and get it back out to me via Priority mail.

I am hoping he gets it fixed and out so I can have it back by Friday to test before I actually need it. Navin has gone above and beyond with this…Im still confused as to what his role is with Revo

Im not even sure where the checkbook is…we pay electronically.

I just got off the phone with Navin, he did the repair and is sending it out in the am. He really went above and beyond and for that I am thankful. In this day and age of lacking customer service, Navin stepped it up a notch and I think everyone should know that. We chatted about a few things like updating the Manuals online to include the new on board sound receivers and his role in the company. I did suggest that buttons 7 and 8 be volume up/down instead of Low, Med, Hi.

I also told him I would do a write up about my experience in our club newsletter (those of you in clubs on the West Coast will probably receive since we are part of the newsletter exchange)

I also told him I would post the repair info…

Waranty &
Crest™ Products repair service
Navin Shievdayal
74 Williams ave.
Jersey City, NJ 07304
[email protected]
Tel: 201-565-6069

Bob your post doesn’t explain his asking for a blank check. The contact info. you give looks like he is doing warranty work for revolution on his own for revolution. I knew he was a employee but is he still?

Richard

The blank check was apparently for postage that was unknown at the time.

Precision RC warrants what it sells.

The now defunct Aristo and Crest companies have no warranty, but Navin can still repair these items.

Navin is an employee of Precision RC.

Hope that helps clarify.

Greg