Large Scale Central

2-4-4-2

This is claimed to be the most it has been together since going into the ditch and being disassembled in 1959.

New axles and crankpins (old ones too pitted), new rear truck (missing), running boards (missing), new front half of firebox, lower half of front tube sheets, all new brasses and machining, new wood cab.

Close. Might even fire it late this year. Did not see a tender anywhere.

Cool. Three footer, right?

Standard Gauge. Little River ordered it, went quite a few places before it ditched itself.

I am glad they didn’t scrap her after she went for a romp in the weeds.

Where is this being rebuilt at?

Thanks Dave

Ah…the clue is there…on the end of the engine shed all…Oregon Coast …Railroad. The part blocked by the door says “Scenic”.

Garibaldi, Oregon, next significant town north of Tillamook (famous for cheese).

Using the old SP line for tourist line. The other engine in the shed is a two truck Heisler…with a complete truck and frame for third truck sitting out in the elements.

Engine in use is McCloud Mikado #25, which we rode behind to the stop at Rockaway Beach and back.

TOC

That teaches me to look both ways but not up. Thanks for your help.

Dave M.

It’s okay. I didn’t put the location in at first to generate discussion…and it worked!

This is also there…a decoupled Mikado…Polson, then Rayonier, then lettered by the local Lyons Club for SP, which it never was:

TOC

There is a tender that could be “borrowed” for the locomotive.

True. And I thought that immediately when there. Just seems 90’s tender is about as big as the 2-4-4-2 is.

So, I got up on the passenger car behind 90 and took some rust pictures:

It looked like the bottom of that tank below the rivet line is bondo…that’s cracking out. Sides have rust holes…need a total rework. But at least they’d have the frame and trucks, and it’s already oil…the fuel of choice there.

TOC

Ok, I have a stupid question. Could they have possibly sent the tender out to be repaired somewhere? Maybe that is why it isn’t onsite.

Like you said, the tender from 90 has what appears to be a usable frame and trucks, and the sides (and internals) could be measured and copied to make a serviceable tender.

Never know…it might be. I do know as long as this sat in the field (decades and decades) a whole lot of stuff disappeared.

More likely it went to another loco with a bad tender.

Because a Great, great great great aunt of mine married into the Weyerhaeuser Clan, I have the Book; Logging Railroads of Weyerhaeuser’s Vail-McDonald Operation. Swapping tenders was done as needed, profits first!

John

Tank malleys often acquired tenders to extend their range, or to allow the engine tanks to remain full for extra traction or due to the engine tanks rusting out. These usually came from out of service engines.

Just found out an hour ago the tender is probably at the shop in Chehalis, Washington. Also found out the #2 Heisler in the barn…they have another, #4, also a 2-truck, and the third truck outside it to a three truck they yanked out of a ditch someplace and not all of it is in Garibaldi yet. PLUS another Polson Mikado is already en-route (running).

This place is going to be steam central if they aren’t careful.

TOC

Cool, sounds like they are accumulating a lot of neat stuff. Hope they can get it all running someday.

It sounds like it is time to plan a trip to Seaside, OR and take a drive to the place. Paul