Forum Sponsors

Forums General General Discussion
  • Topic: Aristocraft BNSF Dash 9 Motor Failure

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 9, 2017 6:52 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

We have learned the hard way about split shafts in Z scale, where the motors not only cannot be bought, but the people that have them want (and get) $100 each for them.

Pull the gears off with a puller (heat is NOT an option on a 5mm diameter motor!!

Everything seems cool... then press the gears on, and the shaft recedes into the housing... split shaft motor, but no way to tell before.

Apparently shaft is inserted into end housing, then gear pressed on, and then half shaft pressed into plastic "center"...

My GUESS is these (Aristo) motors have a continuous single shaft.

Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• September 11, 2017 7:35 PM EDT
      • E. Helena , Montana

• Thanks

Gary,
      I want to extend my sincere, "Thank You!" from all of us at Imagination Station Kids On Track for graciously donating the motors needed for repairs. I know a lot of kids will enjoy running this BNSF Dash 9 and our Pan Am Railways SD45 which both had front drive block motors with bent shafts. (front motors only) The Pan Am was not to bad but still had a front motor with a bent shaft which we will now replace also.
      You know what's interesting is that the good motors spin a little more free than the motors with bent shafts, even though the shafts aren't bent bad. Amazing how just a small amount of bend in the shaft causes so many issues. Wish we could save the motors since they still run so well. Oh well!
      This will fix all of our problem locomotives and once again have everything running, once Barry is finished.
      Oh, thanks for removing the plastic hex ends. I don't know how you amazingly did that?
      Thanks for everything Gary.
      Incidentally, you pack things professionally like I've never seen.
      With your packing, you could probably drop it from an airplane without an issue!
      Greg,
      I believe your correct in as the shaft goes all the way through the motor but I think we'll know more once Barry works on it.
      I sure won't try it myself. There are some things I just don't trust myself with.
      Thanks, Ken
    • September 11, 2017 8:33 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

What is really bizarre is I have never seen nor heard of a motor with a bent shaft in the prime mover motor blocks.

Is it possible these locos were dropped? Had they ever been opened before?

In any case, great you problem is solved and I've learned a new thing to look out for.

Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• September 11, 2017 9:22 PM EDT
      • E. Helena , Montana

• Thanks

No, never opened. That part I am sure of, however, I am not sure if they were ever dropped in shipping. The boxes looked ok biut one thing they have in common is that they came together in the same shipment from Aristocraft directly.
    • September 13, 2017 5:11 PM EDT
      • YYC, CANADA

• Thanks

"...our Pan Am Railways SD45 which both had front drive block motors with bent shafts. (front motors only) The Pan Am was not to bad but still had a front motor with a bent shaft ."

Interesting.  Maybe time to finally open our factory fresh/direct from AC units,  and chk this out .... or just bookmark this thread !  :)

" G-Gauge may not RULE, but it  GROWS  on Ya !! "    djc'99

• September 13, 2017 5:36 PM EDT
      • E. Helena , Montana

• Thanks

Which units do you have Doug?
      Ken
    • September 14, 2017 5:37 PM EDT
      • YYC, CANADA

• Thanks

Pan-Am !  

When I do finally get around to opening and if finding the same problemo (as you found) I might just have an opinion of the factory in their waning moments for AC  ;)

This post was edited by Doug Cannon at September 14, 2017 5:39 PM EDT

" G-Gauge may not RULE, but it  GROWS  on Ya !! "    djc'99

• September 15, 2017 12:28 AM EDT
      • E. Helena , Montana

• Thanks

Yea, let's hope they're ok. I haven't really had a huge amount of problems with these drives with these exceptions but as you may know, they like to be kept oiled and I drill grease holes in my gearboxes so I never have to take the drive/gearboxes apart again. I have gotten pretty good at working on this type of drive block but I am still trying to learn more and this post has helped a lot.
      Hope your locomotives are ok.
      Let me know if I can help!
      Ken
Forums General General Discussion

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google