Forums General Gardening
  • Topic: Structure Lighting Project

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 5, 2017 10:03 PM EDT
      • Candlewood Valley, Connecticut

• Thanks

Thanks! The true spirit of Mik right there

@ Doug - I bought a bag of 100 12V Grain of Wheat bulbs on Amazon Prime for about $15. I also bought a bag of male/female plugs on leads that I'll use for quick disconnects.   The LED's I used are all from a recycled sign. Powering all with  5 Amp 12 Volt supply. So far I'm pulling about 1.5A including some Aristo bumpers I forgot had bulbs in them.

Today I worked on getting the power finished up. Previously I just had the output of the supply connected to the track with test leads.  Today I spent a few hours trying to re-learn my old track / block power set up; reconnecting wires I had lifted when doing track work and putting insulators back in the wye. I now have constant 12VDC everywhere there is track and most of the block switches are still in place, so I could use that to selectively light areas.

Next up is my Aristo switch tower, then the engine house.  Hope to get a few of these Chama Lights built and placed.

www.cvsry.com www.cvsry.com

• August 10, 2017 10:08 PM EDT
      • Candlewood Valley, Connecticut

• Thanks

Got the switch tower converted last night and planted this evening.  I opted for the stock bright white LED assuming that the railroad has modernized the lighting. I did leave the socket for the t-1.75 bulb wired up. I can add a 14V bulb at a later date and choose between the warm incandescent or the bright LED using the Lights and Smoke switches, The smoke generator has been gone for a long time. I used the smoke wires for an LED and attached it using heat shrink tubing to the stub for the second socket that Aristo never used...

Test illumination...

Got it planted outdoors this evening.  Unfortunately I didn't scope out how I was going to wire it in before I made up the cable. If I had I would have chosen black heat shrink to bind the wires together 

I started using male/female plugs in the power wires to make removing the structure for service easier. I left this plug above ground to keep it from corroding. I may move it into the tool box in the future...

And finally, a night shot. Taken with my cheapie point-and-shoot. I'll take some good quality pics with the DSLR after Trainops...

www.cvsry.com www.cvsry.com

• August 11, 2017 7:21 AM EDT
      • Missouri

• Thanks

Ahh the sweet glow of success.

• August 11, 2017 9:45 PM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

Da.....darn, the yardmaster needs to wear sunglasses.

Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

Forums General Gardening

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google