Large Scale Central

Sound for Bachmann 55Ton 3 Truck Shay

I am after a sound card to install in my Bachmann 55Ton 3 Truck Shay that will run off the motor voltage/signal .

Any suggestions?

Hi Graeme, if you prefer the correct Shay sounds I suggest the Phoenix Sound system. For DCC and battery r/c use the P8 at $175 USA. For DC track power use the PB-11 at $235. They both support motor voltage for the chuff signal. You will need to get the USB cable from them to change the sounds file and make adjustments. Ask Tony Walsham if he can help you.

Don

MyLocoSound at US$79 or A$89 will also give the correct Shay sounds. Using a TV remote control, the chuff is adjustable to match the loco and is synchronised to the motor voltage and load. There is a good video of MyLocoSound in a Bachmann two truck Shay at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5HQQRhwNIU. The radio control used by this British retailer is virtually identical to that used by Tony Walsham at RCS. Tony also sells lots of MyLocoSound, for both radio control and track power, and can give you good advice.

The MyLocoSound whistle is adjustable in style, pitch and volume. You can trigger it, plus the bell, safety valve and “All aboard”, manually using transmitter buttons on radio control.

On track power, the normal choice is to use the automatic sound modes. This causes the Westinghouse brake pump to sound automatically each time the loco is stationary. It also causes the bell to ring when the loco is moving below a user selected speed or when triggered by magnets under the track. The whistle can also be triggered by track magnets or by the remote control. It conforms to US whistle codes when starting and stopping and can sound the grade crossing sequence when triggered whilst in motion. A slight nudge on your speed controller will cause the safety valve to blow.

You can contact Tony Walsham at RCS or email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Regards

Peter Lucas

MyLocoSound