Large Scale Central

Bachmann K27 Battery Conversion Help

I’ve converted a number of engines to R/C battery already. I finally decided to convert my “older model” K27 to R/C battery control. I’m using a RailBoss system and Phoenix P8 sound. I’ve been successful so far with the controller and sound card installations and everything works to this point. I had removed the “dummy” card first. I have yet to decide whether to use the optical sensor or reed switch for chuff, but that’s another story for later.

My main question is related to lighting. When I converted my Bachmann C19 to R/C battery, all the lighting worked with no further modifications. However, none of the lights work in my K27 following the conversion. What am I missing? I just assumed the main PCB in the K27 tender performed the same basic functions as the one in the C19 tender. In-other-words, once power is supplied from the battery to the main board, the lighting would work. It doesn’t seem to be the case.

Any suggestions? I’d hate to think that I’m going to have to power the lights from the RailBoss card but, if necessary I will.

If I can get a solution to this issue, I will follow with a question regarding using the optical sensors for chuff.

Doc Watson

I’m on a plane so can’t type a lot but you need a schematic … I believe many lights are turned on with a transistor.

If no one else has the schematic I do.

Greg

Don, not sure if there is anything in this that will directly help, but here is a thread on how I did my K27. It is unusual in that I have maintained the ability to run constant track power the same as the Revolution system. There is a schematic included. http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22079/major-k27-overhaul

Don I know this is not Airwire but they say that the K and C are the same wire. But they do say to make sure the switches are set to dcc in ft. boiler

if your C works just check to see if set the same.

cheers richard

Don Watson said:

I’ve converted a number of engines to R/C battery already. I finally decided to convert my “older model” K27 to R/C battery control. I’m using a RailBoss system and Phoenix P8 sound. I’ve been successful so far with the controller and sound card installations and everything works to this point. I had removed the “dummy” card first. I have yet to decide whether to use the optical sensor or reed switch for chuff, but that’s another story for later.

My main question is related to lighting. When I converted my Bachmann C19 to R/C battery, all the lighting worked with no further modifications. However, none of the lights work in my K27 following the conversion. What am I missing? I just assumed the main PCB in the K27 tender performed the same basic functions as the one in the C19 tender. In-other-words, once power is supplied from the battery to the main board, the lighting would work. It doesn’t seem to be the case.

Any suggestions? I’d hate to think that I’m going to have to power the lights from the RailBoss card but, if necessary I will.

If I can get a solution to this issue, I will follow with a question regarding using the optical sensors for chuff.

Doc Watson

Doc

All the Bachmann locomotives with a socket share the same attributes. In order for the internal lighting, chuff and fan to function, DC power must be supplied to the locomotives + and - pins. Normally it is the responsibility of the device that you plug into the socket to provide this power.

A quick and easy check is to put the switches (normally behind the smoke box door) to the DC position.

These switches normally have 3 positions labeled DC, off, and DCC. A better wording for these switches is ON (DC), off, and switched by the device in the socket (DCC)

If you switch off the motor and provide power to the locomotive the lights will light in the DC switch position if you have the proper DC power supplied.

No lights (or fan noise) means that DC power is not being supplied.

If you are using Battery/RC for power and you have nothing in the socket, you will need to provide a jumper between the + side of the battery and Locomotive + and a jumper from the - side of the battery and locomotive -

Once you have power you can switch the switches to the DCC position and have your controller turn on and off the lights.

Hope that helps.

Stan

Thanks everyone for your input. I see I have a few things to check out. I will report back as soon as I solve my problems.

Doc Watson