Large Scale Central

Generic 28 ft passenger car

I started a passenger car from Garden railroad magazine plans last Thursday. Here is what I have done up til Friday morning. I have the floor ready for planks, sides and ends. I will be making all the windows and both doors from castings. Thinking of trying to detail all inside too…

I plan on using the bachmann passenger trucks or something close them. body mount couplers link and pin.

That’s coming together nicely. Going to be a fair sized thing even at 28ft long. Trucks are probably going to look pretty big under it - let’s see, on the combine across the room, B’mann trucks come up about 4.5 inches long on the sideframes. So that’s 9 out of 14 inches taken up by truck.

Definitely brings these to mind,

https://railtown1897.wordpress.com/2014/02/13/a-photographic-history-of-car-no-6/

I’ll take 2 please.

Looks great Travis. Kind of like the looks of the short passenger car full of trucks.

Chris

Nice work Travis. I will follow this build with interest

Jerry

Travis, I’ve always liked the looks of your wood working, clean and precise … I vaguely remember those days… The framing of the water mill was like that too. As John P. pointed out, that stuff was too good to hide. I’m glad your skills are on display with this car.

John

It will be a while before i can continue to work on this project until I get to use my shoulder… Looking forward to getting back on these. I am cutting a second one out as I go along. I plan on these being Western and Atlantic road name…

Have you double checked whether the bodies are long enough for the name? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

But then, Western and Atlantic isn’t something like the Lumber City, Tallahassee, and Hazelhurst.

Should be Forrest… (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Nice work Travis

Those will be good looking passenger cars when complete. I really admire your woodworking skills, Travis, and enjoy watching your builds come together.

I have some pictures of the under body , I will post them sometime today. Right now progress will be very slow due to my shoulder surgery. I am gonna try to put some window frames together and cast in resin for this coach. I want to use the bachmann passenger trucks since these will be close to the 1860’s truck until i get some together eventually. This is kinda a experimental car to see what i need to do and change for my future civil war railroad…

Travis Dague said:

… for my future civil war railroad…

Forget if I’d mentioned this outfit before. Was in it in late 1990s early 2000s but then finalized a long and slow move from 1800s HO to contemporary On30

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Civil_War_RRs/info

Group Description

This is a group for individuals interested in the history & modeling of American Civil War Rail Roads. Though we cover the ante-bellum period though the end of Reconstruction, our focus is American railroads from 1860 through 1865. Sample topics include the U.S.M.R.R., the W&A, the O&A, the B&O., sharing model & layout photos, souces of modeling supplies, & archival resources. We are proud of our ever expanding bibliography of primary & secondary souces on railroads in the Civil War. Our goals are (1) to help preserve & disseminate Civil War railroad history and (2) to be an aid to individuals modeling the railroads and railway systems of this period. Group discussions & sharing are encouraged. If you wish to join, Yahoo will automatically email you a copy of our Membership Agreement. To join you must respond through the yahoo system specifically stating that, yes, you accept all the terms of the Agreement. We also run a 2nd site (Civil War Railroad Pix) for our overflow photo archives.
Thank you,
D.C. Cebula, Moderator

Travis that looks great so far. How do you cut the window openings so good. That has always been my weakness, part of the reason why I never attempted a passenger car yet.

Shawn, I do not cut out the windows…that would be too hard to do accurately and consistently. Instead I frame around them.

It looks like travis did that too.

Eric Schade said:

Shawn, I do not cut out the windows…that would be too hard to do accurately and consistently. Instead I frame around them.

It looks like travis did that too.

Thanks I always wondered how that was done. Now that you mentioned it I can see where he framed around them.

Travis, What material are you using? If Balsa, like the plans call for, the lack of weight will be an issue. The first one I did I had trouble keeping it on the track thru switches, I piled about 10oz of tire weights inside and it rolled a lot better. You might consider adding weights between the center sills, along with running metal wheel sets. Or make metal bolsters instead of the wood ones.

Dave Taylor said:

Travis, What material are you using? If Balsa, like the plans call for, the lack of weight will be an issue. The first one I did I had trouble keeping it on the track thru switches, I piled about 10oz of tire weights inside and it rolled a lot better. You might consider adding weights between the center sills, along with running metal wheel sets. Or make metal bolsters instead of the wood ones.

Balsa on a table saw? …looks like pine to me

luan

Shawn Viggiano said:

Travis that looks great so far. How do you cut the window openings so good. That has always been my weakness, part of the reason why I never attempted a passenger car yet.

Shawn, I cut them out on the Dremel scroll saw. I am making a master pattern out of styrene to cast the 14 window i need…

The wood i am using is all Scrap stuff… Luan plywood sides & bottom. The ends Luan plywood. end beams are walnut. I figured it is gonna be painted so why not mix it up with scrap stuff. The board siding will be cedar . flooring will also be walnut …