Large Scale Central

Steam speeder

just ran across this, and had to share…

Have to share this one too…

Thanks, Cliff, that’s cool, hadn’t seen the first one. Jay’s has been around a while. History Channel had a special on Steam Power a few years ago, and they went to his shop. He also brought out his Stanley Steamer.

That steam speeder is sweeeeet!!

Holy Cow! Thanks for sharing. My knowledge grows with every engine of video I see.

Really appreciate you sharing.

I like the speeder. But why does he have water running onto the flywheel?

Here is another

Very cool Gary, thanks!

Lots of similarities with the “modern” one.

David Maynard said:

¿

David Maynard said:

I believe it’s because that is the mechanical clutch and the water helps cool it so it doesn’t warp under strain. Look inside and you can see the friction pads.

John

I was wondering about that water too. I think it may actually be in a plastic tube which feeds water from the feed water pump back into the water tank. The pump works continuously when the engine is running and can pump more water than the boiler uses, so excess water is allowed to bypass the boiler and return to the water tank. Note the shot inside the rear seat showing the plastic tank…you can see the plastic tube with water running in it.

The builder, “rossco1948,” has about 200+ videos on Youtube covering this and other steam-related projects. I expect he discusses the water issue, but since I couldn’t quickly find which video did so, I’ll punt and share this sequel.

And this “advertisement” video, looks like he sells these mini steam packages. What a fun hobby.