Large Scale Central

DCC Decoders

Starting to convert my roster to DCC using a NEC PH 10R/10A system with D408 Decoders and I have a question for those more knowledgable than myself. I picked up a couple of Digitrax DG 583S Decoders in a deal and wanted to know if they are compatable with the NEC system. I’ve read on the NMRA site that all Decoders are to be compatable but I can’t find any confirmation to that effect on various DCC manufacturers sites. Anyone have some input?

If they are standard NMRA compliant DCC decoders then they are compatible. So, yes.

I’ve installed a couple of those and they work correctly with the NCE PH10 box I have.

Thank you both for the reply

Biggest problem with decoders is when buying older versions one must understand the limits of the older decoders.

Point in case is the LGB decoders as follows:

55020 by LENZ are 14 speed steps only and are serial only (these come up often on Ebay and were part of a system kit (55000 command station).

55020 by Massoth were a little better but several versions were made and latest revs were 14/28 speed steps.

Old MRC gscale decoders were 21 volts, no problem for NCE systems but my system is 24 volts.

Even later model LGB engines with onboard decoders and eved sound cards with DCC were 14/28 speed steps.

OTOH newer decoders like Zimo can do the older serial protocols, have 14/28/128 steps, and even the HO decoders have a voltage rating of 30 volts or more.

My zimo system has no problem running all the above mentioned decoders. I do expect the 21 volt mrc to fail someday, but for $7… who cares!! I like the motor hem as it sounds like overhead electrics running… DUH free sound!!!

Yep, my MRC units I got for a song, and they blow up every so often. They usually smoke and are quite fun.

One thing about the Digitrax decoders, those are a very old design, I believe they were the first to fit the Aristo socket.

They do not handle heavy current well.

And my NCE and Zimo systems can program anything.

Greg