Large Scale Central

Spring, 2017

Good morning everyone in the Northern Hemisphere…

Welcome to the first day of Spring.

Time to start planning the start-up of your outdoor railroad for the 2017 season…if you haven’t already started.

Fred Mills

Fred: That is what the calendar says, how ever it is overcast, cold, with rain in the forecast which will be COLD! But yes I’m looking forward to getting the main line cleared and running the first train of the year. And there operations at the CCRy and TOC.

Paul Austin

Workin on it Fred, workin on it…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

First day of spring here.

Image may contain: train and outdoor

Much the same here, but I am optimistic…!!

Fred Mills

I can see most of my track, just not enough to do anything with.

Steve Featherkile said:

I can see most of my track, just not enough to do anything with.

Poor excuse. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

It’ll have to do, its all I’ve got. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Well, this Saturday will be warm enough to get started on my railroad’s spring rehab, but I will be in York at the ECLSTS. Sunday will be a bit cooler, but I may get started then anyway. The first revenue service is scheduled for May first, as usual, and we have always made it. This year I have to fix the Saw Mill Run bridge. Something hit it and broke out one board, dislodged another, bent the tension rod, and dislocated part of the lower frame on the end opposite the broken board.

Today, after work, and going potty, and changing my clothes, I discovered the track crew was starting on the spring rehab of the railroad.

So right now we are ahead of schedule. The rehab doesn’t usually start until AFTER the ECLSTS. But when the sun went below the treeline, the cold wind put a stop to the track-work for today.

Tom Morrow, my foreman, pointed out to me something he had discovered. I had purchased some used Aristo stainless 8 foot track at auction, for repairs and such. Some of the track has AML ties on it. He showed me the difference in the Aristo ties and the AML ties.

To my eye they look close enough, so I had Tom put the AML ties in the pile of new ties. When we have broken ties that need replaced, we will use some of the AML ties as well as the Aristo ones we have.

David Maynard said:

Today, after work, and going potty, and changing my clothes, I discovered the track crew was starting on the spring rehab of the railroad.

So right now we are ahead of schedule. The rehab doesn’t usually start until AFTER the ECLSTS. But when the sun went below the treeline, the cold wind put a stop to the track-work for today.

Tom Morrow, my foreman, pointed out to me something he had discovered. I had purchased some used Aristo stainless 8 foot track at auction, for repairs and such. Some of the track has AML ties on it. He showed me the difference in the Aristo ties and the AML ties.

To my eye they look close enough, so I had Tom put the AML ties in the pile of new ties. When we have broken ties that need replaced, we will use some of the AML ties as well as the Aristo ones we have.

Still well over a foot of snow here. Next few days are going to be cold, not much will melt then.

Sean, the best day to work on the railroad this weekend will be Saturday. I will be in York at the ECLSTS. Sunday its supposed to rain and be cooler. So, I can’t win neither.

David

I agree with your spelling of Sean , as the only way to spell Sean !

Right Rooster!

Sean

Ok, I mistyped. I is not ah typist, nor ah Engalish major, or minor, for that matter. Well I guess I had better pack and start drivin ta York.

I saw this guy today:

Western Tiger Swallowtail. His wingspan was at least four inches across. Really feels like spring now.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

David

I agree with your spelling of Sean , as the only way to spell Sean !

Right Rooster!

Sean

Shawn, sean, Shaun, Shon it all sounds the same. I prefer 4 letters words over 5.

David Maynard said:

Sean, the best day to work on the railroad this weekend will be Saturday. I will be in York at the ECLSTS. Sunday its supposed to rain and be cooler. So, I can’t win neither.

The forecast for Saturday was not good. Ended up being cold and damp all day and no sun. Guess you didnt miss out working on the railroad. Better day for York.

Well, I got a few hours in before it started raining. Now I have inside stuff that needs done, like laundry. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

Mother Nature: It is impossible to have all four seasons exist in the same day.

Washington: Hold my beer.

Yesterday, while leveling track, I was rained on, hailed on, the sun was shining for most of the afternoon, and, with the wind chill, below freezing temps.

Steve Featherkile said:

Mother Nature: It is impossible to have all four seasons exist in the same day

You’ve obviously not been to the Big Island in Hawaii, lol