Large Scale Central

Supplying Power to a Rotating Object

Good day, all - I have been experimenting with a wireless method of supplying power to a rotating object. Things like illuminated, rotating signs, turntables, and other kinetic devices sometimes need power. Traditionally we use slip rings and brushes or similar contacts.
These can be troublesome and hard to maintain.

I have come up with a way to use the circuitry that is employed to wirelessly charge a cell phone to supply several watts of DC power to a rotating device.

I have posted details (including a video) here:

http://www.trainelectronics.com/Animation-power-a-rotating-object/

and here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Supplying-Power-to-a-Rotating-Object-Wirelessly/?ALLSTEPS

I hope this will be of interest to you. Please let me know if you have any questions or if you have an idea of how this could be used.

thanks!

dave

Hey David

Video looks neat, but I’m getting ‘not found’ for both of the article links.

Ya what Bob said!

Sorry about that, guys - I think I fixed them

dave

That’s fascinating Dave, thanks for your customary product inquisitiveness, experimental enthusiasm and documentary thoroughness!

For work projects, I’ve been exposed to the industrial IPT products from these folks,

http://www.conductix.us/en/products/inductive-power-transfer-iptr

But yours is the first small-scale & hobby version I’ve ever seen. Very fun looking.

At the larger end of the IPT spectrum, I’ve seen IPT applied to automotive battery charging. Also, it might interest you to know that Disneyland’s submarines (repurposed for “Finding Nemo”) uses IPT for contactless battery charging while in station. At least, that’s my understanding. To a point that you made towards the end of your video, this power transfer happens underwater.

Great job! I look forward to see what applications folks come up with.

Cliff

[edit]

OK, I’ll toss out a couple model rr ideas for application.

• A contactless battery charger, where the receiving coil & battery are in a box car and the transmitting coil is in a close-by building (on a straight long track).

• A transmitting coil between the rails (and perhaps in more than one location) and a receiving coil slung under a car which momentarily energizes on-board effects in the car.

• Ditto, with a super cap to make the effect last longer.

• A rc boat on a pond, which is recharged while at one or more positions.

• A transmitting coil in a box car, powered by rail, that comes near an off-board receiving coil that makes something light up, spin, move, etc. as it passes.

C

Actually I have an idea that this item does make possible. Kind of like what you are saying about charging an effect in a car with a super cap. But, I am not going to Devon right now, and start truly playing with the idea. I have other things in progress right now.

Cliff - all good ideas! I hope to experiment more with smaller coils just to see how much flexibility we might have with fitting them into rolling stock. All great fun!

thanks

dave