Large Scale Central

USA Trains Modern Tank Cars & Body Mounting Kadee Couplers

Example Methods for Body Mounting Kadee Couplers on USA Trains Modern Tank Cars

Hello All,

First off, this is my first use of the LSC Forum as a new member.
I have been participating in MLS for several years and would now like to try LSC.

Now for my first Post, I wish to share what I have done with body mounting Kadees on the USA Trains “Modern Tank Cars” - the ones made from extruded aluminum. (I know these cars have been around for several years, so this may be seem old to many folks.)

At this time most of my trains have all body mount Kadee “G” scale couplers, nearly all of them being centersets (no vertical offsets). With several hundred items, I still have a few more to complete. With body mount couplers, I strive for train operation on 8 foot diameter track so as to assure operation on 10 foot diameter tack curves, including Aristo’s Wide Radius Turnouts.

A few years ago (I think late 2011), Nick Savatgy sold me several USA Trains 55 foot modern tank cars in new condition that he did not need. Nick retained the Kadees he had on them, so at that time I took a quick approach to body mounting the straight shank Kadee 830 centerset couplers. Sometime later I got one new 42 foot car and one new 29 foot car, so this resulted in a rethink as to using the newer version Kadee G scale “E” type couplers with different methods for body mounting them.

Accordingly, I would like to share some examples for body mounting Kadee 906 or 907 couplers on those cars for operation down to 8 foot diameter track curves.

The USA Trains modern tank cars are made in 3 size lengths. The cars are excellent albeit relatively heavy being made of extruded aluminum.
The 3 USAT Modern Tank Cars

For the 42 foot car, it is body mounted using the Kadee 906 wide box type.
I mounted the Kadee 906 box using its inline holes, removed the side “ears” and filed wheel pockets on the box sides.
USAT 42 foot Tank Car

For the 29 foot car, it is also body mounted with the Kadee 906 wide box.
USAT 29 foot Tank Car

The 29 foot car having a very short wheel base has the least truck swing on curves, therefore, the most wheel clearance from the coupler box sides on tight curves. Consequently, this car uses the box without having to be modified and mounted with normal side ear attachment.

For the 55 foot car, it is body mounted using the Kadee 907 narrow box type.
Because the 55 foot car has a very long wheel base resulting in the most truck swing on curves, therefore, the least wheel clearance from the coupler box sides, I chose the Kadee 907 with its smaller foot print compared to the 906 that allows operation on 8 foot diameter track. However, to mount the 907, it does require making a new adapter plate spacer.
USAT 55 foot Tank Car

For much more detail, including “How to’s”, see the Full Article for USAT Modern Tank Car Kadee Body Mounts hosted for me by Greg E. on his Web site.

-Ted

Welcome to Large Scale Central Ted!

Nice to have you here posting!

I have been telling these guys for years that you can turn a 3’ long (custom built) passenger car with close mounted body couplers on a 4.5 radii for years. The diaphragms even touch on straights!

Good luck (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

That’s great, Ted! Now if you could post the process of body-mounting Kadee 830, 906, or 907 couplers on older (1990’s) USA Trains American series and LGB reefers, that would be fantastic! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Welcome aboard Ted. Great way to start posting.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Greetings Ted,

Welcome, it is good to see you posting here as well as the other place. The pics you have posted show things up exceedingly well here. I am sure those who have not read your posts before will welcome the great detail you always manage to convey to readers.

Welcome to the insanity!

I’ve seen your posts on Gregs site.

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for the nice reception and comments.

As to Michaels’s comments about body mounting Kadee couplers on USA Trains American series and LGB reefers, I have not done those since what I model is of a newer era. My trains are mostly 1940s through 1990s era. I suppose my earliest era cars are the AML brand wood side reefers. I did a “Vignette” (article) on those but that won’t apply. Of newer era LGB 40 foot box car I did a vignette on those but I don’t think that would apply either, but maybe you get ideas from it.

-Ted

Welcome Ted, I have seen your articles on Greg’s site and on your web site also. Looking forward to more to help this newby to make things work right all the time .

Thank you Pete,

Just so you know, Greg E. hosts my material because I don’t have a Web site, and therefore, I don’t need one and prefer not to have one. I had been posting on MLS, and like done here, very little material compared to the full info. on Greg’s site.

-Ted

Welcome Ted!

I have always enjoyed reading your articles on Greg’s web site.

They are very thorough and well explained.

I purchased some used, 55 foot USAT tank cars and had to make my own USAT style coupler pads.

A little tedious, but these cars track well with 906 Kadees.

I also make my own shims for Aristo-Craft Evans boxcars.

Evan Boxcar Kadee 906 shims

Thank you Paul,

I think we go back to the earlier days on the Aristo-Craft Forum. Noticing your excellent presentations then and since served as model and inspiration for me. So your reputation on this Forum as “Well Respected” is indeed the case.

As to what you did to your 55 foot Tank Cars, what minimum diameter track curves can they operate on without wheel rubbing against the coupler box?

As to the Aristo EVANS car:
I noticed prototype EVANS cars (example Wisconsin & Southern, WSOR 503144, EVANS car) have projected couplers like those on cars with a cushioned underframe (Hydra-Cushion, Shock Control, etc.). So I tried different methods for mounting Kadee 830 or 906 wide box assemblies on the Aristo EVANS cars so they would have their coupler boxes projected out a little from the end of the car. It looks like your spacer shim does this too.

Shown below is my BCR car with projected coupler box.

Example Aristo BC Rail EVANS car fitted with projected Kadee coupler

What was done to the EVANS cars is described in article, “Aristo EVANS Car and Body Mount Kadees”, hosted for me by Greg E. on his Web site.

-Ted

Ted, long time reader of your fine work… I bumped your reputation, you and Paul are equals in many ways.

Welcome Aboard.

John

edit; for perspective

I 3D printed some similar shims to help me center Kadee couplers on Bachmann cars. The shim actually fits over the two center sills, and puts the holes for the coupler box in the center of the car. They also seem to work with Hartland and some other cars.

Ted Doskaris said:

Thank you Paul,

I think we go back to the earlier days on the Aristo-Craft Forum. Noticing your excellent presentations then and since served as model and inspiration for me. So your reputation on this Forum as “Well Respected” is indeed the case.

As to what you did to your 55 foot Tank Cars, what minimum diameter track curves can they operate on without wheel rubbing against the coupler box?

As to the Aristo EVANS car:
I noticed prototype EVANS cars (example Wisconsin & Southern, WSOR 503144, EVANS car) have projected couplers like those on cars with a cushioned underframe (Hydra-Cushion, Shock Control, etc.). So I tried different methods for mounting Kadee 830 or 906 wide box assemblies on the Aristo EVANS cars so they would have their coupler boxes projected out a little from the end of the car. It looks like your spacer shim does this too.

Shown below is my BCR car with projected coupler box.

Example Aristo BC Rail EVANS car fitted with projected Kadee coupler

What was done to the EVANS cars is described in article, “Aristo EVANS Car and Body Mount Kadees”, hosted for me by Greg E. on his Web site.

-Ted

I run my modern cars on Doug Matheson’s Northland Railway. To be honest I have no idea what the smallest diameter curves are.

When I bought six used tank cars, I noticed the previous owner had cut the corners off the Kadee couple boxes. I replaced them with unmodified Kadee 906s. I have never had a problem with them.

The shims for my Evans boxcars extend to the edge of the brakeman’s platform.

Evans boxcar couplers

I have run these on 10 diameter curves on Fred Mill’s IPP&W Railway without problems.

Paul

Hi Paul
Thank you for your input; your expertise is always appreciated.

As to the EVANS car, like you described for operation on 10 foot diameter track, the Kadee box did not need to have its sides trimmed for wheel clearance.

For the Car to operate on 8 foot diameter track, I discovered the wheels interfered with the Kadee box, so sides of the box did need pockets for wheel clearance, and I chose to mount the box on its spacer and car pad as shown below.

Kadee box trimmed for EVANS car operation on 8 foot dia. track

Cars shown on 8 foot diameter track

Two Aristo EVANS cars on 8 foot dia. track

I apologize for digressing from the original topic about the USAT Modern Tank Cars, but there are similar issues about dealing with the coupler box for car operation on tight curves.

-Ted

Ted I think the coupler fixes for both the tank and box cars are similar enough to not be worrisome for the dreaded thread drift problem. Keep posting these helpful ideas and pictures. Most of my rolling stock is USAT , so I for one like seeing what you have to offer

Pete,

I have done several USA Trains items.

Greg E. hosts and organizes my Vignettes (articles) on his Web site in Page groups.

For locating USA Trains products:
Vignettes, Page 5 only includes the USA Trains Extended Vision Caboose.

Vignettes, Page 6 includes most of the USA Trains items I had done.

Vignettes, Page 7 has more recent writeups, including some USA Trains items.

I have yet to do a writeup on the USA Trains 60 foot box car and SD40-2.

-Ted

Ted Doskaris said: I have yet to do a writeup on the USA Trains 60 foot box car and SD40-2.

-Ted

Slacker! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Thanks Ted, I have used Greg’s site for a lot of good info, and read your vignettes, and earlier I think I got your info mixed up with George Schreyers website. keep the info coming!