Large Scale Central

Soldering Station

Hey gang. When I lived at my parents home, I used my dad’s old Weller soldering station. When I wanted my own, I kitbashed two different radioshack irons together to get a unit with the features I like, but it died last summer.

I figured it was time to invest in a good weller of my own finally, and now that I’m working on the blower control system for my portable foundry, I really need one. I’m not looking for one for soldering models, just electronics/electrical. Any suggestions, either in models I should look at or features I should consider mandatory?

Thanks for your time.

I had my old EC-2000 finally dies last year, had it for over 25 years.

My replacement unit is the Weller WESD51, reason is it uses the same soldering tips as the EC-2000. Have several new tips already.

They do make the unit with other tips so look for the ETA or ETB, etc tips.

Please look at this web site. http://www.mpja.com/Solder-Station-with-LED-Display-ZD-929C/productinfo/15845+TL/

This is an exccellent solder station. I have been using one for several years.

I bought one of these on E-bay. It’s really nice to have the right tool to do the job. Money well spent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-2in1-862D-Soldering-Iron-Welder-Hot-Air-Gun-Rework-Station-Accessories-/111784429806?hash=item1a06df08ee:g:9i8AAOSw9r1WClu1

Its better than I am. I can’t blame my tool for my lack of skill. The hot air gun is really good for shrink insulators too.

Weller is my backup backup. My main backup and what goes to shows is a Hakko, temperature controlled, lots of different tips, good price. My main unit is a Pace, but these are really expensive.

I will say, the better the iron, the easier it is to solder well.

Greg

I have a question regarding this station:

My thinking on how this works is …

1st the dial 1 thru 5 is a rheostat.

2nd the iron is just a plain iron.

3rd when you select a number it sends so much power to the iron producing only so much heat.

The question is can I just replace the iron with this?

Some are just variable power, some are actually temperature controlled with a feedback loop.

Without the model number not able to comment further.

But can you replace a variable temperature iron with a fixed temperature one with no regulation?

Can you rip the knob off your train transformer and replace it with an on off switch? Sure. Will you have as good control? No.

Same for soldering.

Greg

Sean, glad you got the analogy.

Trust me, the more money you put in the soldering station, the more easily it solders, the more consistent operation and the better the solder joints.

Take a look at this brand and price. Most soldering can be done at 800 degrees, less melted plastic. You can crank up to 900 for bigger jobs or where you have to solder very quickly (like batteries).

http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-Digital-Soldering-FX-888D/dp/B00ANZRT4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460137104&sr=8-1&keywords=hakko+fx888+soldering+station

There are many tips available and the plating is superior, i.e. a well treated tip will last for many years.

Regards, Greg

Hmmm I might have to upgrade from red to blue!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

My favorite soldering tool is a 45 year old princess 35 watt unregulated iron. This is not for everyone but it was what was used in the late '60’s.

I have used it so many years it is part of me and I have learned how to clean before soldering and use flux/paste (non-acid) to assist in soldering.

Dan, thanks. I use an unregulated Weller 45 watt iron. It does what little I need to do.

Dave Taylor said:

I bought one of these on E-bay. It’s really nice to have the right tool to do the job. Money well spent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-2in1-862D-Soldering-Iron-Welder-Hot-Air-Gun-Rework-Station-Accessories-/111784429806?hash=item1a06df08ee:g:9i8AAOSw9r1WClu1

Its better than I am. I can’t blame my tool for my lack of skill. The hot air gun is really good for shrink insulators too.

Thanks for that link, Dave. I just picked one of those up. Came in handy when I was working my my C-19.

Greg

The unit that I have just uses a standard iron with the base station just ramping up or down power to the iron.

I upgraded to a blue unit : Weller WES51

It has this LOCKOUT feature … why would you need this if the temp is already set?

I should be set for a while.

I might just get an iron for the old station.

Thanks

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Greg

The unit that I have just uses a standard iron with the base station just ramping up or down power to the iron.

I upgraded to a blue unit : Weller WES51

It has this LOCKOUT feature … why would you need this if the temp is already set?

I should be set for a while.

I might just get an iron for the old station.

Thanks

Dials can be moved by accident.

I like that feature and has saved me issues when changing solder temps on delicate components.

I keep it normally at 700 Degrees and lock that in, my standard setting. If I need to change, it is unlocked, the temp changed and the job done, then moved back to 700 and locked again.

Dennis Cherry said: Dials can be moved by accident.

That makes sense!

My Pace unit not only has that feature, but goes into standby after a programmable period of time, and automatically senses when you try to use it, and comes out of standby.

This saves the expensive tips.

bucks in = quality and features out…

Greg

Hi…there are many useful soldering station available. The all suggested above are also good. But it also depends upon your requirement that what type of soldering you have to do mostly and what type of the components and PCBs etc. So give the details of your requirement. And before choosing any please check the specifications of each with care.

impedance controlled printed circuit boards