Large Scale Central

Automated layout control

I was speaking with an industrial lighting guy who does high end automated industrial lighting. I work in a public water utility where all of our tank levels, pressures, and pump control is automated. It uses radios and computers to run to monitor and start and stop pumps. I have an app on my smart phone that lets access our central computer and run that stuff from my phone. So we got to talking about where this technology is going. We have a guy on here messing with cell phones to run locomotives. It all got me wondering is there any automation readily available at an affordable (subjective I know) to operate layouts. I know we have DCC and R/C for running trains but is there any computer based program that uses logic controllers to send signals to switches and turn on and off lights that sort of thing?

I have automation, but it is not computer controlled. It is controlled by the presence of a/another train. While not computer connected, there are several manufactures for this sort of thing.

If you run track power, there is always DCC and JMRI. It also depends on what you want to control/animate. There are tons of off the shelf programmable controllers and things like Arduino and Raspberry Pi and all sorts of things you can plug into them, relay boards, wifi, sound cards, motor controllers, etc. The only drawback to that route is the software, you’d have to write much of it yourself or adapt some other package.

For me it was more or of a curiosity. I don’t want the headache outdoors and indoors I am not sure its worth the trouble. I was just curious if it was out there. Seems like there would be a small niche market for it but I am not smart enough nor do I care to be. Like Martin said the stuff is out there if the right person comes along and makes it happen. I was trying to figure out the JMRI stuff and couldn’t make sense of it.

My reverse loops are relay controlled, so they are automatic.

The trains and animation at the science center is computer controlled, and I know that years ago folks built such systems back before Microsoft came out with windows. What with programmable controllers, such as had been mentioned, it should be easier to put together the hardware for such a system, but, why? Most of us either like to run the trains, or we have put together a roundy roundy set up so we can watch the trains.

Yeah there is a big “why” factor I guess. I mean I can’t see me using it really, but figured someone somewhere was doing it because it can be done. My thoughts were so that while running one could operate switches remotely, have an I pad in their had with the layout and then just touch the screen of switches you want thrown . . . I don’t know, jeez I was just wondering. Don’t go start making sense and asking tough questions like “why”.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Oh, throwing switches remotely, like with DCC switch controllers. Oh yea, that’s been done. And before DCC there was a matrix switch control, where the flip of one toggle or the push of one button would align a set of switches to a preset position.

I can see setting up a train to run automatically while you work the yard, or run the local on the same track, but I am not that kind of person.

Well, I know why. Or why for me. In fact, that’s exactly what I am trying to do. JMRI is WAY overkill for what I want and I don’t particularly care for DCC, it’s a bastard child. I need something simpler. I want to run multiple battery powered locos and critters. One day add a steam loco too so that has to fit. Automate turnouts and routes. And decouple remotely. All from one ‘thing’ in my hand with a good wireless range. That ‘thing’ needs a nice color screen, like a phone. I’d also like some info feedback on the screen like speed and current draw and battery capacity left (fuel). It also needs a knob, not a ‘slider’, hence my ‘phone throttle contraption’. That is where I’m going, and so far, it’s working pretty well. But my problem is that I just don’t have the resources to pull it into a ‘product’. I’m a software engineer by trade- I actually spent 20 years at GE designing industrial control systems like you mention (the water system, we did oil rigs too). I work with some smart people in my current gig but they consider trains ‘toys’ and have no interest in helping. In fact, in my town here, I know of zero people into large scale, much less people who can write firmware. Anyhow, I think I’m going off the rails so I’ll shut up now :slight_smile:

Martin Sant said:

Well, I know why. Or why for me. In fact, that’s exactly what I am trying to do. JMRI is WAY overkill for what I want and I don’t particularly care for DCC, it’s a bastard child. I need something simpler. I want to run multiple battery powered locos and critters. One day add a steam loco too so that has to fit. Automate turnouts and routes. And decouple remotely. All from one ‘thing’ in my hand with a good wireless range. That ‘thing’ needs a nice color screen, like a phone. I’d also like some info feedback on the screen like speed and current draw and battery capacity left (fuel). It also needs a knob, not a ‘slider’, hence my ‘phone throttle contraption’. That is where I’m going, and so far, it’s working pretty well. But my problem is that I just don’t have the resources to pull it into a ‘product’. I’m a software engineer by trade- I actually spent 20 years at GE designing industrial control systems like you mention (the water system, we did oil rigs too). I work with some smart people in my current gig but they consider trains ‘toys’ and have no interest in helping. In fact, in my town here, I know of zero people into large scale, much less people who can write firmware. Anyhow, I think I’m going off the rails so I’ll shut up now :slight_smile:

Ah yes, sorry, a rant. Darn. Anyhow, I prefer oatmeal with rasins, do you have those? :slight_smile:

JMRI, it’s free and you only have to use the pieces you want. DCC is old, but it works and has more than enough features for most people.

The big deal with DCC is you can buy parts from many different vendors, which has driven the prices down.

Greg

Martin,

Don’t apologize. Its why I asked. Your cell phone contraption is one of the things I was thinking about. Its out there to be done. I mean our SCADA system at work really isn’t rocket science after someone does the programming. Then we use Teamviewer to access it and what I see on my phone is the computer screen at work. So I know it can be done. I did see on the JMRI site that it works with things like Anyrail so you can up load your track plan. I didn’t get deep but it seems it would be an easy task to have “switches” on the computer screen and a click of the mouse will send a signal to the logic controller and then sens a wirelss signal or even a wired one out to the switch motor. I have the understanding but not the knowledge to make it work nor really a desire to try. But I know someone somewhere can get it done and there are enough tech junkies that would use it.

So rant on. Its why I asked.

Well on the subject of DCC in my case where I am starting with nothing and do not want to operate trains off track power is there any reason in this application to use it. I mean I am not expecting my track to carry power. So it seems that while DCC can do it if you already are using it thats fine but in this case I am wondering about alternatives.

The JMRI system I only began to look into. Like I said its way more advanced than I want to mess with at least now especially considering this is putting the cart about a mile before the horse. But IF I do plan to mess with it it would be nice to pre plan for it.

automation needs detection of where locos and cars are… you have a much tougher problem with battery power.

Greg

Well I get that. And in the over all scheme I think automation is not the best word for me to be using. I don’t mean fully automatic which would be cool. I think this is where I lead David astray. All I would want is remote manual control over various elements like turnouts and turning on and off lights. Not automatic train control.

But since we are going there the possibilities of that would be very cool. I can see what you mean Greg with full automation knowing where your equipment is with battery would be another beast.

Well, I’ve thought on that too. My RS3 has an RFID reader under the fuel tank. It picks up tags embedded under the track. You could also put RFID readers on the track and embed tags in the rolling stock. Some math and an encoder on the wheels (to measure distance/speed) and you could get darn close to an exact position…

It’s all good !

Would like to meet you at York this year is you are coming in Martin!

EDIT: if you are coming to ECLSTS at York this year ?

I am going to try. If the weather is good, I missed last year because of the rain.