Large Scale Central

PRR MP-54

I was born in a log cabin a poor --no, not right. From the age of 2-5 I remember living along the PRR ROW which is now called the Northeast Corridor. When it was dark and the “Local Train” went by, it was time to go to bed. To this day I thought they were saying “Loco Train”!

I have a set of these in brass in HO, but wanted one in Large Scale, about 1:29. Having seen Rooster’s success in butchering Aristocraft passenger cars, I thought I would give it a go.

Wait, first there are too many windows and seats.

Great, the wiring is under the seats! So I have to figure out how to run the wires shorter and between the seats.

So the floor is too long and the frame is in the way.

By now I am really having fun!

So now the roof is too long. Hmmmm.

Gotta do both ends because of the lights and the window spacing.

This has been about a month’s worth of work what with the holidays. The last picture is my progress to date.

You would not believe the reaction when my wife asked what I was doing making all that noise, and I answer “I’m drilling out Owl’s Eyes.”

Looking good Lou(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Lou Luczu said:

I have a set of these in brass in HO, but wanted one in Large Scale, about 1:29. Having seen Rooster’s success in butchering Aristocraft passenger cars, I thought I would give it a go

Lou called Rooster a butcher and hurt his feelings!

Wait …who’s ,who is, hews Rooster?

I personally love it so far Lou!

It blows my mom’s mind when I “cut up perfectly good trains.”

Looks good so far.

Oh great! I use “butcher” and “Rooster” in the same sentence and now the animal’s rights people are camped outside!

Lou, then invite then for a barbecue, some steaks and ribs. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

There was an article in Trains Mag about how those were built from passenger cars to run on the newly electrified Paoli Local back in the 30’s to handle the increasing passenger service.

I used to ride on those when I first started with the phone company and was on a shift job at the U of P Hospital installing the first Centrex service. The Media local went through Morton where I got the train. They were still in use up till the late 70’s early 80’s until Septa took over the regional passenger service.

Ken Brunt said:

I used to ride on those when I first started with the phone company

Dang …Ken’s old!

Lou Luczu said:

Oh great! I use “butcher” and “Rooster” in the same sentence and now the animal’s rights people are camped outside!

I forgot to mention, this is an unpowered unit. I found out the motor blocks I had could not be mounted on a passenger car with a hammer and nails.

I need to get the Doodlebug frames and motors from Mike Moran at Beacon Hill Trains. The original plan was to have a powered combine, powered coach, and unpowered coach. It has been so much work that I may do only the powered combine with this unpowered coach.

I remember Dad & I taking these to Yankee Stadium once from New Jersey. They say (you know, them) people used to complain because of the rattling and lack of AC.

**Lou Luczu said:**I remember Dad & I taking these to Yankee Stadium once from New Jersey. They say (you know, them) people used to complain because of the rattling and lack of AC.

I can verify what “they” say is true. And the almost lack of heat. Shake, rattle and roll, all the way to 30th St…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

1960, my only year in Teaneck New Jersey, I was enthralled watching them snake into the city. San Diego and Astoria Oregon didn’t prepare me for urban MUs. The few rides to Yankee Stadium were a treat, equal to the Cracker Jacks and Hot Dogs. Of course seeing those ‘villains’ up close was ok too.

Thanks for he memories.

John

Carry on, Lou! I know what fine work you can do, and I look forward to seeing this baby finished.

Is it done yet?!

Well, the workers insisted on a long weekend off!

When you look at the pix, one might assume it was just a series of cuts, but on closer examination, the walls don’t line up with the roof, don’t line up with the floor, don’t line up with the seats. In other words, nothing lines up with anything!

Lou,

I thought about doing a MP54 for a long time, but a long Island Railroad version. How much does the car have to be shortened?

Wonder if cutting a section out of the middle, on a chop saw, or band saw could be an another way to get the same results. Wiring

could be redone after the pieces are re attached. The remaining halves should line up easier.

Keep us posted…

Kevin

Hi, Kevin. On the Aristo Heavyweights, there are seats turned sideways, not on the MP-54. I had to take out a few rows of seats, but to make that spacing come out right, I had to add about 1/2" twice to the roof. The roof has clerestory windows that I didn’t want to mess with, so the space got added between the last and next to the last. I was trying to maintain window and seat spacing, and decided to keep the bawthroom. I suppose your way would work, but the wiring is under the floor, plus the impossible to get to on/off switch.

Will get the exact cutoffs tomorrow. You might as well learn from my mistakes.

Lou

Lou,

I understand your concerns with the wiring, I would go with a mini toggle switch under the car vice the original one.

All those bare wires are nothing but trouble when trying to reassemble, a simple lighting circuit would work well.

Just noticed we are both in NJ.

Kevin

I just came from the Greenberg Show at Raritan Center. The Pickle Guy wasn’t there.

Lou Luczu said:

I forgot to mention, this is an unpowered unit. I found out the motor blocks I had could not be mounted on a passenger car with a hammer and nails.

I need to get the Doodlebug frames and motors from Mike Moran at Beacon Hill Trains. The original plan was to have a powered combine, powered coach, and unpowered coach. It has been so much work that I may do only the powered combine with this unpowered coach.

Lou,

I just butchered a Doodlebug and took the motor out. It looks like a standard FA truck. I read somewhere (an old product review, I think,) that the trailing truck had larger wheels than the standard coach to match the FA truck. You might want to think of fitting the larger wheels to all the trucks, rather than trying to fit smaller ones to the powered truck?

P.S. I have no use for the powered truck, if you want it?

Peter Spoerer in the UK makes some axle-hung motor systems: http://www.peterspoerermodelengineers.com/90275/info.php?p=7

Pete, that’s what was in the Doodlebug? My problem was the motor truck was recessed up into the frame, which is why I could not use FA motor block truck.