Large Scale Central

single coil or dual coil relays for signals

Hello, it has been awhile since I have posted anything due to it has been to dang hot this summer to work on the Fuzzy Puppy & Southwestern R.R. I began constructing search light signals for the railroad, orginally this to prevent a burnout Locomotives and engines, when crossing into other blocks sections, I almost lost USA GP 30. I am confused over which relays to use single coil latching relay, (to reset reverse pulse of polarity) or dual coil latching relay, these will be tripped with reed switchs. I also want to be able to use relays for some automtic turnout and train control, I am now at the point of my layout where i need to begin this process, before I start shorting out and burning stuff up. I will be using a different power source for the relays and I am using DC analog track power in double insolated block sections. simple suggestions will be greatly helpful. electronic part of the hobby gets confussing and I am still learning and figuring out LEDS so please simple. thanks

I use ordinary relays (usually 4pdt) that are triggered by 555 timing chips. The chips can be triggered a number of different ways, but reed switches work well. Also, because the reed switch triggers the chip, rather than the turnouts, you can use reed switches with low current ratings to trigger multiple turnouts and not worry about burning them out as you would if the reed switch directly triggered the turnouts.

With some cre8tive wiring, the relays can be made to stay energized and serve as latching relays until their power is removed.

All of my effects are done this way including station and fueling stops, Gustav icing the reefer, the aerial tram, and the hopping low rider car mounted on the flat car.