Large Scale Central

In-ko-pah RR: The Dos Manos Depot

Back in May I did a foam core mockup for the Dos Manos depot:

Since then I haven’t had much modeling time and have only just now started to work on the actual model of the depot. First I disassembled the mockup and worked out the size and position of doors and windows for each wall. As you can see by my scribblings this involved some trial and error:

Then I laid out the final design on a 16" x 20" sheet of 6mm thick Sintra PVC board, and cut it out:

Before going any further, I wanted to work out exactly what kind of stone and masonry the building would have. I decided on light tan sandstone in random courses for the bulk of the structure. Then I did a small test piece to see if I could successfully replicate that look using Sintra PVC board. Here’s how the test piece turned out. I’m pleased with it:

With that settled, it was time to start texturing the first wall of the building. The first step in this process is to lightly sand the surface using a sanding block and horizontal strokes. This removes the sheen, and the fine scratches add a very subtle texture. Next, I used sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. This was applied with a scrapping motion, horizontally across the face of the wall. This added some more prominent scratches:

This close up view shows the scratches. Most of them will be obscured by the rest of the process, so they don’t have to be perfect:

The next step involves tapping on the surface with a rock to give it a rough, uneven texture. For this you need a rock that isn’t too rough or too smooth. Here’s the rock I used:

After going over the entire surface with the rock, I used a t-square and pencil to lightly draw a series of horizontal lines on the wall. These will be used as guides when scribing the stone courses. Because I’m simulating random courses, the lines don’t have to be evenly spaced:

That’s it for now, more later. Enjoy!

Awesome work as usual Ray!! I really enjoy watching you work, and I really like where this is going. Can’t wait to watch this progress :smiley:

Thanks for revealing more of your “secrets”! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Time for a quick update!

I began scribing the stones on the first wall of the depot. The stones are scribed using an ordinary, carbide-tipped metal scribe from the hardware store. The tool is pressed firmly into the surface – with Sintra, you’re not really scratching it, you’re indenting it. Here are a few photos of my progress:

I still have to scribe the upper area of the wall (the second story portion). When this wall is done I have several more walls to do. By the time I’m finished with this building I’m going to be pretty tired of scribing stones!

Well, I finally finished scribing the first wall:

But there are still a few things to do that will give the wall more depth and realism. First off, some of the scribed stones are a bit flat and could benefit from additional texturing. For this, I’ll use a small scrap of old patio flagstone:

Here’s a “before” shot of a small section of the wall, showing some of the stones that need additional work:

I tapped those areas with the piece of flagstone, and here’s how it looks now:

Another little trick to add depth is to carve out a few random stones, using a sharp #11-blade hobby knife, as I’ve done here:

There is still one more thing I want to do, which will extend some of the stones out a little from the surface of the wall. However, I have to wait until after the walls have been assembled. Also I need to scribe some mortar lines in the edges of the door and window openings, and touch up a few cut marks, etc.

That’s it for now. Enjoy!

I spent quite a bit of time on the second wall today. I got the door and window openings cut out, sanded the surface, applied scratches, tapped the whole surface with a rock, and made a good start on scribing the stones:

Then I realized something… I’d done all this on the WRONG SIDE!

Doh!!!

I had to scrap it and cut out a whole new wall. But I’ll save the bad one, and maybe I can cut off sections of it for use elsewhere.

oh! … shocking! …

you are able to make mistakes as well!

i know that feeling well, having done a lot of effort, just to realize, that it was into the wrong direction.

think about it in a positive manner:

one day more, before you have to think about some new project…

Your buildings are terrific and the details you put into them are amazing but I want to know more about that round rock like where did you get it and how much was it?? LOL

When I first saw that photo, I said to myself,"Ray is fooling us and using the same photo as before of the same wall. The thought never occurred to me that Ray could possibly, under any circumstances, MAKE A MISTAKE!! I guess he is human after all!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

I’m just glad I realized my mistake before I got any farther with it!

As always great work, I am so glad you spend the time sharing with everyone, always like learning new stuff!!

Thanks!

Tom H

Hooray! I finally finished scribing the (new) second wall, and got it right this time:

Still need to use the X-acto to carve out a few random stones, then I’ll go to work on the third wall.

Progress continues a piece at a time…

On the end wall for the west wing, I drew guidelines on the wall’s edges, roughly matching the positions of the mortar lines on the north and south walls:

The finished west wing end wall:

After the walls are glued together, I’ll need to use a bit of filler on the joints. At that time, I can do any necessary adjustments and touchups on the mortar lines across the joint:

Next I did the west wall of the central, two-story portion of the building. Most of this wall will be hidden by the west wing, so only a small area at the top of the wall had to be scribed:

That’s it for now. Enjoy!

Is anyone having trouble seeing my photos here? I’m having some trouble with my web hosting service, and may have to find a new one.

Looking good Here. Ray…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

You are a master Ray!

That last picture really shows the effect the rock makes on the whole surface. Ya dun good…

I finished scribing the east wall of the two-story, central portion of the depot:

I also created a special piece which will be laminated to the back of the west wing’s end wall, to increase the wall’s apparent thickness:

Here are all of the pieces that I’ve completed so far. These are enough to begin assembly:

Woohoo! I’ve assembled the walls and it finally is starting to look like a building! The east wing, which will be an open, shaded waiting area, will be assembled separately. I’m still trying to figure out the best way to build it:

Here’s a view of the south side. I still need to build the bay window:

Here’s the top of the west wing’s end wall, showing the special piece that was added to make it look thicker:

A view of the northwest corner:

Enjoy!

WOW !!!

A true masterpiece. It’s almost a shame to put it outside, but I know it will look great along with the other buildings.