Large Scale Central

Matra crane animation

I’d like to join the frae and present my work to date on animating LGB’s Matra crane. About two months ago, I got the idea of motorizing the crane from a Youtube video I had seen a couple of years back. In that video, not all of the functions were animated. So I decided to give it a go. When I am finished, I hope to have the boom rotate and raise and lower. Of course the hook will operate. And the boom extension will also be animated.

The entire operation will be by remote control, using one of the inexpensive set-ups from China. Sorry about that, but the prices can’t be beat and there must be hundreds of suppliers over there, all selling the same stuff.

Now all I need is to figure out how to post photos. I followed the directions entitled,

“Picture Posting help for Rick Marty”

But when I click on the freight shed button I get a list of what appears to be names of members and other titles that look like picture titles.

Use the same instructions but substitute an Album for the Shed. In the header under the tracks above click on Albums, then click on My Albums, create one for your pics. Add them there. Open the pic to full size and copy the location, then open another window with the forum and your post. Proceed as instructed…

John

Gee … That sounds easy … NOT!

Well, that was confusing ? Let’s try this;

http://www.largescalecentral.com/albums/untitled-album/12243/set/6617.92260kkgh5j9x8c140705216554c07ea9a41134373237054c07ea9a462145161285054c07ea9a4652123148135354c07ea9a465a4161935554554c07ea9a465e635365554c07ea9a46617.92260

Now Dan is this part of the MIK challenge built on the flat car? because and animated crane built on our flat car would be a very cool build.

Open the pic in the album you created. Right click on the pic, (I use firefox) I use; ‘Copy Image location’

Then I clicked on the tree icon in the editor and pasted…

Devon Sinsley said:

Now Dan is this part of the MIK challenge built on the flat car? because and animated crane built on our flat car would be a very cool build.

I guess I’m not understanding what the MIK challenge is. The Matra crane is mounted on a flatcar. I changed the chassis from the 4 wheel version that came with the car, to an LGB 8 wheel version.

The Mik challenge is different. We start with a simple part and build on it, last year a door, this year a 16’ flat car and we only spend $30 max.

John

Dan we need to back you up a bit. Everyone who participates in the build challenge throws there name in the hat. We were then all sent a scale 16’ flat car kit by Dave Taylor depending on our stated scale preference; i.e. mine is 16’ in scale 1:20.3. We were sent the kit and we had to come up with a project that was build on that flat car. So everyone is starting from that same base. It also has a price limit of $30.00 and what ever you had on hand as of the start of the build.

The idea is to make the most out of what you have laying around in your scrap bin. The originator of this competition was known for making the most out of household items. How creative can you get with a pop bottle or a toilet paper role, that sort of thing.

Contact Dave if you want to jump in. At the top of this forum category is the rules and the prizes and categories.

John Caughey said:

The Mik challenge is different. We start with a simple part and build on it, last year a door, this year a 16’ flat car and we only spend $30 max.

John

Ooops I started my response before you posted yours and had to come back to it. Sorry for repeating what was already said.

No biggie, happens all too often… you said more, it’s ok.

John

Ah ha. We have penetration. I believe I’ll pass this year. But thanks for the explanation.

So I suspect the moderators can relocate my topic to another heading, if they which to.

Moderators? We don’t need no stinking moderators. :slight_smile:

H

Here is where I am so far. Once the touch up painting is completed, it will look a bit more presentable.

Keep going Dan, this is very interesting, and you’re into it. It may or may not qualify for the actual challenge, but I, and I’m sure several others, will get a charge from following your build, and I’ll learn a lot from you doing it, that’s for sure.

Don’t forget, you can always do the challenge next year! Cheers!

It looks like you are using the same mini gear motors, from phils narrow gauge, that I am for my moose project. These little guys are cool! I am sure we can all find good uses for them!