Large Scale Central

Mik 2015 Challenge Mark D

I am a Rookie.

My idea is to build an open Tiki Bar passenger car. I have a few ideas about what should be on it and the level of detail it should have. I will follow up with a hand drawing soon, I am new at this so I have to look into what I can come up with.

I have a busted up bail of hay from the Halloween decorations thrown over the hill that I can get material from for $0, hows that for a good start on the budget.

Wooden coffee stirrers for the support frame for the roof and bar (used and cleaned or a few extras accidentally grabbed while getting one) $0

Open Air Cars are a lot of fun. Good project idea.

Doc Tom

Mark,

I have you on the rookie list.

Mark Demyan said:

Wooden coffee stirrers for the support frame for the roof and bar (used and cleaned or a few extras accidentally grabbed while getting one) $0

Did you grab your napkin???

Mark don’t forget to visit your local Chinese food restaraunt and have a couple of fancy drinks and don’t forget to save those tiny umbrellas for your build.

Todd Haskins said:

Mark don’t forget to visit your local Chinese food restaraunt and have a couple of fancy drinks and don’t forget to save those tiny umbrellas for your build.

Dang Todd don’t give the competition such good suggestion.:wink: that’s a great idea for his party barge theme

Todd Haskins said:

Not sure where the emoticons are on here so :thumbsup:

Even though I strongly am against rendering aid to the enemy I was thinking on your project and if you could swing brass pickups or some other power source. . . small yellow or orange LEDs could make killer tiki torches some of the stalks of straw could be fitted over wire and shredded on the end to create palm branches.

Devon Sinsley said:

Even though I strongly am against rendering aid to the enemy I was thinking on your project and if you could swing brass pickups or some other power source. . . small yellow or orange LEDs could make killer tiki torches some of the stalks of straw could be fitted over wire and shredded on the end to create palm branches.

Great thought!

That is already on my list from this picture I found while trying to get an idea of where to start.

http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users//mark_demyan/V1.jpg

I got my kit today

Mark Demyan said:

Devon Sinsley said:

Great thought!

That is already on my list from this picture I found while trying to get an idea of where to start.

http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users//mark_demyan/V1.jpg

Yeah know Something resembling a 40 ford woodie with a surf board on the roof comes to mind. Is this thing gonna roll around the track playing a beach boys tune?

OK Mark I really do believe this is in violation of good cut throat competition but here is a photo for inspiration.

Photo from the RV Nixon collection at the Museum of the Rockies. It depicts the Coeur d’Alene Railway and Navigation company locomotive #2 some time around 1890. Notice the open air tiki car behind the tender complete with thatched roof.

Devon

Devon Sinsley said:

OK Mark I really do believe this is in violation of good cut throat competition but here is a photo for inspiration.

Photo from the RV Nixon collection at the Museum of the Rockies. It depicts the Coeur d’Alene Railway and Navigation company locomotive #2 some time around 1890. Notice the open air tiki car behind the tender complete with thatched roof.

Devon

Wow that is mighty nice of you. I wasn’t sure if I should do a bar on one side with seats and a walkway on the other or a totally covered car and wing the interior. Now I have to consider this as a possibility. This rookie appreciates all of the support!

Very cool picture. Looks like they are doing a heap of celebrating with all those flags on the lokie. The Tiki bar is probably helping to fuel the celebration. Surprised those good folks are able to stand. Maybe the spirits are in the trailing box car??

Doc Tom

Hope the stack has a spark arrestor, or that Tiki bar won’t last long…:wink:

I especially like all the pine branches on the pilot. Can tell of this is fourth of july or a Christmas wreath.

Ladies in White, gents in sleeves, I’d say a 4th of July picnic, employee party.

John

I am just not good at putting my ideas on paper. They just float around in my head and get over analysed until I make them real so no napkin drawing from me.

I am under the weather with the flu as it seems I am on the start of a few unproductive days. So far I did get the base boarders glued on then I went to bed for a short nap.

BTW it doesn’t look like I will need the blue packing tape so if one of you out there don’t have enough of the blue packing tape for your build I am will at the cost of shipping to send mine to you.