Large Scale Central

Miks Challenge 2015 Matt K

O.k. If I put my name in the hat, I need to start my build log. After checking in with my assistants (my 11 yr old son and my wife), I think we have come up with (at least) a start of a design.

I will do a mini-ferris wheel with a pully or gears connected to the truck wheel(s) to have it turn as the flat car is pulled around the track. And, maybe, I might do something musical with a player piano or music box type of thing - again connected to a pulley or something (kind of like the Rube Goldberg theme).

Now I’ll have to under promise and try to over deliver (boomer has me shakin in my boots now - har-har).

Having looked at the clarification of the rules, I need to post that I’m a rookie to this build challenge.

The assistants I mentioned are just for consulting purposes. I will be doing the build solo.

Dave, you can let me know if this means I’m in or out. Regardless, I’ll still post and work along with this build. I’m following rule #1 - keep it fun, so no hard feelings on if I’m in or out.

Matt you are on the rookie list

I have no say but since rule number 1 is to have fun and I cant think of any better way to have fun than working with your kids I would vote for the team.

Matt I’m not the rule maker but I wouldn’t worry about having your kids chip in and help you build. Unless your kids are professional model makers that is… Maybe htye cna help you with painting?
It is all good and I say part of the fun.

Your mini ferris wheel sounds like a good idea.

Well, I’m going to have to share my ‘napkin design’ like the rest of them…

Yum!

Matt Kirichok said:

Well, I’m going to have to share my ‘napkin design’ like the rest of them…

Matt you and Dave Maynard need to team up. Between your pasta and his ruined napkin due to a spaghetti sauce snafu you guys can serve dinner.

Awful early to name a winner .

Hey Dave Marconi is jealous of Matt’s macaroni

The macaroni drawing is a hoot! And edible too, then wipe your chin with the napkin. Nothing wasted.

Doc Tom

Yup. That was supper that night.

O.k. like the Pink Floyd song ‘Time’ goes…"I missed the starting gun…’. Well, I knew we started, but just had other things. I still have 4 weekends to do this in.

I just started to build the car and gather the materials. I had an old ‘Teddy Bear RR’ Aristo bobber caboose that I’ll be using as the truck (since I didn’t consider how big it really was going to be in 1:29 scale). Oh well, that’s part of the fun with this, make it up as you go.

More tomorrow, and maybe a picture also of the materials.

O.k. The flat car is coming along - just waiting for the glue to dry on the decking (tried that thing called pin nailer and shot a pin nail somewhere in the workshop - then didn’t shot it in the wood straight. Before I got one in the finger or worse - I just stuck with glue).

And here are some of the materials I’ve gathered to put this on the track and to build the ferris wheel (tin plate). 1st time trying tin plate. I’ve watched some of the videos by tinplate girl and bought some plans in the past - just never got around to using them. Now I’m going to try to make the ferris wheel without any plans. We’ll all see how it comes out as I go.

Like some of us, I too am a bit behind in getting this build off the ground. I have been doing a bit here and there so I thought it wasn’t enough to post an update. I have enough to show now…

I had to modify the truck and steal from a bobber caboose. The rod in the middle will be linked up with the center of the ferris wheel, so as the flat car is pulled around the track, it will turn and provide rides (maybe a good car for a pizza layout).

Here you can see my “pulley” system with rubber bands.

I know what I want to do, just not sure how to do it. I’m not sure if this is going to work, but what the hey, its all about Rule #1.

I think I’m going to have to build a team to help me out get this build done. It seems others have a crew of characters to help them…wait till you see my crew :wink:

Good progress. I think everyone is a bit behind this year since there hasn’t been much daily updates.
There is still lots of time left.

WHY am I thinking those rubber bands will fight each other?

I have been working (a little) on this build. Got a free weekend (and maybe it might turn into a 3 day weekend), so I’ll attempt to get much more done.

I was able to cut and solder the wheel sides…

I tried to drill holes in them for the cross braces, no go. It always helps to use the right tool and things go smoothly. I just ran out of time tonight to finish drilling. Should have something the looks like a ferris wheel tomorrow (I hope).

This is not going to come close to some of the other builds I’ve seen, but hey, I’m having fun building it. Just hope the site comes back up tomorrow also. I’ll keep my finger crossed for our sake…and thanks Bob----keep up the great work (even if the site doesn’t come back up).

Rule #1 applies

Looks like you’re having fun!

If you have trouble with the drive belts/rubber bands bulk up the axles with anything…tape, plastic tubing… the bands will perhaps run more smoothly and efficiently on larger diameter than the do over a small diameter rod. Bulk up the two wheels the same diameter so they don’t fight each other.

Eric Schade said:

Looks like you’re having fun!

If you have trouble with the drive belts/rubber bands bulk up the axles with anything…tape, plastic tubing… the bands will perhaps run more smoothly and efficiently on larger diameter than the do over a small diameter rod. Bulk up the two wheels the same diameter so they don’t fight each other.

I used vacuum line. The rubber provides good friction for the belt.

I love that you’re working with tinplate. It’s such a grand tradition among railroad hobbyists. Great that you’re helping to keep that tradition alive! Good luck with this - I’ll keep watching.

I almost tossed in the towel on the tin plate and do a re-do with wood. I decided to forge ahead and just try to fix my mistakes. Rule #1 - have fun. And that is what I’m doing. With all the mistakes, I’m learning (at least what NOT to do next time :-)).

Thanks for the tip Eric. If I have problems with the drive, I’ll try to beef up the rods with tap or something. That will be for next week when the finishing touches go on. Now back to the project (and laundary). I don’t have vacuum line and I’ve already spent ~$2.00 on polymer clay, so I figured I had rubber bands and they’d do. Oh, the clay was supposed to be a suprise. That was used to build my team that helped me build this…maybe in the next photo shot they’ll show themselves…we’ll see.