Large Scale Central

Reversing loop and revolution.

Question.

I want to use an LGB 55081 reverse loop module
on a layout running loco’s with revolution decoders. I don’t see a problem.
Can anyone see a problem with this?

Thanks,
David

Not off the top of my head. The reverse loop module is there to keep the polarity of the track from shorting at the loops. Since the onboard Revo is not polarity sensitive, you can switch the polarity back and forth 'til the cows come home. I believe, however, that with that particular module, you must always run through the loops in the same direction.

Later,

K

Although the revo doesn’t care about polarity input, an electrical short at one leg of a reverse loop is still a problem as the loco’s wheels and circuitry would connect the opposite polarities as the train rolls over the joint. So it is still good to be mindful of polarity issues with tracker powered revos.

That being said, I have no personal experience with the lGB reverse loop module. I assume it does something to swap polarity very quickly and if that’s the case it will likely work.

Thanks for your input.
Kevin, I have two Massoth modules running on my dcc layout and you can go both ways no problem.
The older model from LGB was one way, but I do believe their new version made by Massoth
and looks the same as the Massoth except for the colour is two way now.

David

I was thinking of their older system. Sorry 'bout that. Does the current LGB one use the small “dead” sections of rail like the Massoth unit? That would save any issues which might arise with the momentary shorting. Even with the shorts, I don’t think it would cause any trouble–DCC systems use such shorts to trigger reverse loop polarity changes with no ill effects to the decoders.

Later,

K

That’s because the short is not presented to the decoder, just the internal wiring of the loco.

So that situation never affects the decoder.

Greg

Kevin,

Yes the newer LGB unit has the small track sections.