Large Scale Central

Repurposed LED Lites

Anyone who has access to an Ollie’s Bargain Outlet, we were at one in Harrisonburg, Virginia. I found these “Head ‘N’ Grill Litz”, their price $12.99, Paid $4.99.

It is two 18" flexible strips of LED lights with an adhesive back. I did not count them, but it looks like one about every inch. They came in white or amber.

When I took apart one package, there was a length of wire, a push button, and a battery box. The text claims a 910 control chipset, but I could not identify it. There are also marks on the flexible strip for trimming. Also says “Edgemount type 335 LED’s”. All of these numbers probably mean something to all of you who are electronic savvy.

I am curious, so I opened the battery box. I was surprised to find 10 AG-13 watch-type batteries!

I bought the amber to put inside buildings, and some white. If I can figure out where this control chip is, I might be able to cut smaller pieces to use.

Anyway, I wanted to make you aware of this bargain for $5. I think the batteries alone are worth $5. I don’t think I would pay $12.99, but I bought quite a few at $5.

I don’t know which states Ollie’s is in, but I have found them in NJ, NY, PA, and VA.

Is that for your head or your car?

(Grillz are teeth decorations)(I think)

You can get the self-adhesive LED light strips in 5 meters (over 15 feet) for $5 all day long on ebay and in different colors, comes from China.

You got a nice sale price, that is for sure, although you probably won’t be changing the LEDs to “disco colors” I’ll bet :wink:

Greg

No Greg, no Disco planned on my Railroad.

Do you know where I might find this “controller”, or what to look for?

I think the control box is the battery box, probably a small chip.

Does it just go on or off, or are there other modes?

The circuit probably works on 12 volts, and normally you can cut a chunk off every 3 inches or so that will run on 12v.

Higher resolution closeups of both sides of the strip are needed.

the web site says they are marked where to cut.

http://promos.alpena.ca/comersus/store/LEDpromo.asp

Greg

There is only a push button on.

Sometimes the chip is on the strip. One for each group of LEDs. Its usually a small surface mounted chip.

That is what the closeup pictures should reveal David.

Regards, Greg

Will try later today to get a closeup posted.

Hmm. Looks like lots of useful parts, or even useful as they are.

Greg, it should. But without the pictures, I was trying to point him in the right direction. Kinda shooting in the dark as it were.