Large Scale Central

is their any hope for this forum?

moderation is self imposed???
why is the forum so bad?
How can a few bad eggs ruin everything?
is that their only intent?
How much worse will it get??
Buy some pop corn and keep instigating. We’ll see!!

Joe Paonessa said:

moderation is self imposed???
why is the forum so bad?
How can a few bad eggs ruin everything?
is that their only intent?
How much worse will it get??
Buy some pop corn and keep instigating. We’ll see!!

With certain names, the “Mark as Read” button works very well…:wink:

The more the few cry the more they get tuned out… it’s like that all over.

Emotions boys emotions…

From what I can tell from the site statistics, the forum is thriving.

members

activity posts

comments

folder

forum topics

forum posts

events

user chatting

blogs

photos

Obviously, some folks appreciate the lack of moderators.
    Bob has brought out the “hammer” from time to time.
    It’s his web-site, supported by the community here.
    I may not like everyone, or everything, on the site.
    But I support Bob and how he chooses to run his web-site.
    Ralph

LSC, with over 3400 members it is bound to bring a varied cross section of temperaments here, even if we do share a hobby.

I see nothing wrong here, in fact this Forum, currently, is by far the best large scale Forum I visit, in my view. I do visit four in all, this one and two others since 2007, the former manufacturers one since 2006 and the UK one.

Someone commented, in another thread, that the Forum had been fine in recent weeks and so it has. Much interest and comradeship has been part of things.

What is noticeable to me and has been for a long time is that it is just a handful of people that cause the friction due to their antipathy to certain manufacturers or owners (present or erstwhile) or the good intentions that they often put over to others in a dictatorial, abusive or highly disrespectful manner. These people have had issues on other places they frequent, or have frequented, and have, in some cases, been asked to leave, strongly reprimanded or just plainly banned.

Bob, bless his heart, runs a good ship here I feel and has proved that he is quite capable of wielding a stick to the errants.

The modelling emphasis here is what sets it apart. It is also why I read and post here.

I used to think it mattered, now I just try to be civil.

Who needs a mommy? I’m a big boy now!

Andrew

Fight nice kids.

Anyone that doesn’t like the soup…is free to leave…PLEASE…

This forum is GREAT! I used to post often on another largescale one but the fighting and petty bickering and not to mention the know it alls who would jump all over a newbie who asked a simple question got to be too much. Some of the good guys there are the same here so they know what I’m talking about. I just don’t know why some guys feel the need to bully others with comments that are not wanted or needed. Trains are supposed to be fun and this is a fun place to talk about them.
Bob our host has been known to suspend or ban trouble makers. If they get bad enough I’m sure he will exercise his right once again and show them the door. Until then I try not to read what these trouble makers are writing and I certainly don’t respond to them. It takes 2 to fight.

This forum is GREAT!

yup :wink:

This forum is (usually) much friendlier then the other 3 (US) forums I used to visit. I don’t get bombarded with advertisements, nor do I notice posts being deleted or subjects being locked due to the mods. having an axe to grind. Sure there are differences of opinion, from time to time, naturally, which I would hope folks keep civil… Thankfully, Bob is not trying to make a living off this which makes the content of this site much more useful to me.

Thanks Bob!

I’ve only been on this forum since August. I’ve been on MLS for quite a bit longer. Trying to figure out what about garden railroading would cause folks to get nasty about anything? If its politics…I keep that solely for Facebook. This is about model trains which everyone seems to enjoy. We build things and have a good time doing it. I’ve been the recipient of many nice people here willing to help me out with suggestions and answers to my questions.

So to me life is too short for any of the other stuff. I enjoy spirited debate as much as the next person…but it needs to stop when it gets nasty and personal.

Richard

Richard,

There are very few who worry if there’s any hope.

To me it appears they are on a mission to reform everyone to their own world view. As far as I’m concerned, I believe they missed their calling and/or have too much time on their hands.

HJ…well put!!

Richard

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Richard,

There are very few who worry if there’s any hope.

To me it appears they are on a mission to reform everyone to their own world view. As far as I’m concerned, I believe they missed their calling and/or have too much time on their hands.

What he said.

For my money this forum is alive and quite well. I have been a member here for over 5 years and a lurker for about a year before that.

I used to visit all the large scale fora frequently. I started with LSOL, because I didn’t know this and other sites existed. Aside from having to pay for that site, it was a good site with great people and good information. After learning about LSC, MLS, G Scale Mad (the old name of the UK site), and the manufacturers sites I stopped paying for what I could get for free.

It is my point of view that this site began to change as new members joined from other sites that closed, failed, changed hands or whatever. These new members were used to their sites way of doing things, and apparently they would like this site to be managed in a similar fashion. NOT FOR ME! We have been self managed (moderated if you like that term) for as long as I have been coming here and that works fine for me. Have there been differences of opinion, sure. And for the most part they have been worked out between the individuals with out involving Bob.

In another thread the ‘Ignore’ feature was discussed and if it could be implemented without driving Bob to the funny farm, I sure would like to be able to ignore a few people here. Without it, I still ignore them. IF I don’t like what someone has to say, I have the option to not read his post. And if someone feels this site is that bad, they have the ultimate option to simply leave. There are some who have already made that choice. Some will be missed, others not so much.

My tuppence worth. Bob C.

All forums have their ups and downs…

…sometimes the downs are the most interesting parts.

:wink:

Bob Cope said:

And if someone feels this site is that bad, they have the ultimate option to simply leave.

So basically, the folks who don’t like swimming in pee should leave the pool, rather than “imposing” on those who insist on peeing in the pool?

:wink: