Large Scale Central

Auxiliary Lighting Circuit

I like the effect of glowing fireboxes in my large-scale locomotives. Some locomotives come with a firebox glow circuit already installed; most usually do not. There are several commercially available “fire flicker” or “electronic candle flame” circuits that can be used to drive incandescent bulbs or LEDs in the firebox, but none of these look realistic to me. I wanted the effect to look like the shimmering, red-orange glow of a roaring fire in a coal-fired locomotive. I decided to make my own. Here is what it looks like in a Bachmann Annie firebox:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Tk0Q2fK7yO4[/youtube]

I figured while I was at it, I might as well add the capability to provide constant voltage for classification lamps and locomotive cab interior lighting. I intentionally left out any capability to power the headlight since my locomotive headlights and reverse lights are powered directly from DCC controllers in my locomotives. If you need to power a headlight, you can simply tap into the constant voltage provided by the circuit.

This article will describe the circuit in sufficient detail to allow you to build identical copies or to modify it to meet your needs. The circuit uses inexpensive discrete components that are available from a wide variety of sources. Potential suppliers are included with the components parts list. I bought enough parts to build five identical circuits and the total cost was under forty dollars – less than eight dollars per locomotive. No special electronics skills are needed other than the ability to use a soldering iron.

http://www.rhyman.org/articles/auxiliary-lighting-circuit

Bob

Neat, I really like that effect…

Bob,

i like the effect as well, i have a couple iof loco that the stock lighting has died and i will try this.

Thanks again

Al P.

WOW - excellent effect and a fantastic write up.

For my firebox I used a pulsing red LED and then tied a amber led to my decoder and programmed it for a gyro. This way the lights go in and out of sync to give a random flicker effect.

Love it, so simple and elegant. I think I already have all the parts to build one. Thats what is lacking from my Bachmann engines except for my Spectrum ones. Will have to build one this weekend. Thanks for the awesome write up.

Dan S.

Wow JUST like looking into a firebox! Nice effect!

Time for me to revisit this thread. I spent the evening looking at the electronics in my Connie wondering how I might keep the firebox flicker while converting to R/C. Once I saw that crazy board in the smokebox I decided to get out the dikes and cut it loose. Before I did I identified the wire color codes for the 4 LED’s; left those wires intact and yanked everything else. The ashpan board now only has the 4 LED wires - all other wires and electronics are gone.

I’m hoping this circuit might get me where I wan to go. I just need to determine how to get power to a circuit without adding more connections between tender and locomotive.

After re-reading the article I’m wondering if I can get away with the stock LED’s in the Connie driven by this circuit. There are one each Yellow and Red LED in the firebox and another set in the ashpan.

Those LEDs should be quite happy running from your circuit.