Large Scale Central

Bachmann Railtruck RC control?

I posted in the problem solving forum about fixing the known loose screw issue in the bachmann railtruck and if there was anything else to do while the truck is in pieces but thought this might be a better place to ask about RC battery control for this truck.
In the future I think it would be nice to keep my diesels and steamers track powered but have my aristo railbus, this railtruck and maybe another similar vehicle be battery RC controlled. I like the idea of running a track powered train then having this railtruck duck in and out of sidings
What I would like to do is add battery RC to this truck without breaking the bank. There are so many systems out there and one that caught my eye is the G scale graphics railboss.
Are there better systems out there that will allow me to stop\start, and control speed on this railtruck and also be able to run say the railbus at the same time?
What have you guys used and what do you recomend?

Paul Burch just installed the new Airwire “Convertr” receiver in his speeder, and combined that with an inexpensive HO DCC decoder.

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aff/35/afv/topic/aft/129710/afc/314505/Default.aspx

I’ve got the Convertr combined with a Soundtraxx Tsunami (Galloping Goose sound) in my RGS #6 (soon to be TRR M-3). It runs and sounds great! The combo will run you around $200 plus batteries, plus the Airwire transmitter if you don’t already have one. If you don’t want sound, you can go with a less-expensive motor-only DCC decoder as Paul did.

That’s the most “inconspicuous” combination. If you’re going to build a box on the back end to hide the electronics, then any of the systems on the market (Revolution, Airwire, Railboss, etc.) will work very well, especially if you’re not looking to add sound to the equation. (Though imagine the looks when that railtruck comes rumbling by with Aristo’s “Diesel” Revolution sound coming from it!)

Later,

K

I use the Railboss Plus with a Spektrum two stick transmitter / receiver but some complain about the size of the transmitter. I prefer the feel of sticks over buttons.

Del also makes a couple of small transmitter options; The Pocket Railboss uses a key fob transmitter and the new Railboss 4 uses a small 6 button transmitter.

I’m not sure about the newer models, but the ESC board and Receiver for the Plus version take up a lot of room. Be sure what you buy will fit along with batteries and anything else you decide to add like sound.

The G scale graphics stuff is pretty nice.

Yes, one of the first things I discovered when I went to battery: A battery loco is a great accessory for a track powered layout.

Todd, how much control do you need.

If no sound or light control, just basic accel slow, reverse, train-Li has a unit for $90 and is a board controlled by a key fob unit. You get the control board and fob at this price.

Track power or battery!!

I remembered the current issue of GR has a review by Kevin of the G scale graphics Railboss 4. I didn’t realise that it was $89 for the reciever plus $89 for the transmitter. The trainLi unit at $90 sounds better than $160. Thanks Dan. I don’t plan on adding sound just the basic controls via battery so maybe the Trainli is the better choice. Is there a review for the TrainLi?
Does anyone have any real world experience with either of these controllers?

I now have the new TX-2s DSM2 pocket sized hand piece available which has two knobs and was primarily designed for use with Live Steam locos. It can of course be used with battery R/C as well.

Combined with the (also new and very small) RCS BASIC-3 ESC you can operate two separate locos from the one hand piece, independently and at the same time.

If you just want to keep it small, simple, and low cost, I really like the “Simple Critter Control” for $25. Just turn it on and let it go, while you control another train via R/C or whatever.

And if you want to run multiple trains on the same loop under battery power R/C, unattended, with automatic separation, RailBoss 4 is the only one than can do it.

Lots of options to ponder which for a electronics mental midget like myself makes the deciding that much more difficult. The unit needs to be simple to install, easy to use and be gentle on the wallet.
Today I use a Aristo TE to control the entire layout. I can run 3 trains at once and I have 2 run through sidings where I can pull a train in and kill the track if another train is catching up to let it pass. With this railtruck it would be nice to get a bit more sophisticated and have it run independent of the TE via battery RC. It would also be good if I didn’t have time to clean track but wanted to get my train fix by being able to turn a few laps.

More research is needed.

I ‘accidentally’ bought one on E-bay years ago…

I’m a battery guy, so I ripped out the ‘stuff’ in the box on the bed, built a battery pack and a wooden crate to house it and the charging jack/switch. The crate sat on the bed of the truck and the RC receiver was installed in the cab over the drivers head. I think something was under the seat too, but it’s been too long to remember.

There are numerous ways to make it work, and while it may seem a little overwhelming, it’s a pretty easy install. I say go for it-just take your time and go for it!

sorry I’ve no idea where all my pictures are anymore

To bad your not DCC. Did mine and also had a real nice truck sound and can even here the guy shift. Later RJD

RJ, whose decoder are you using? I still haven’t convinced myself that I don’t need one…

Later,

K

I installed the Zimo MX645 in the rail truck. This HO decoder is rated at 1.2 amps and 50 volts. Will handle 2.5 amps peak for 20 seconds. Programmable sound and less than $100.00. Can control lights and does have 1 input sensor.

“…if there was anything else to do while the truck is in pieces but thought this might be a better place to ask about RC battery control for this truck…”

Aware of george’s pages ? I don’t recall if ya are :slight_smile:

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips8/bachmann_railtruck_tips.html

nite.