Large Scale Central

Operations on the J&B

Sort of a tradition…

Ken drove down today and luckily arrived early - a bit after 9. Good thing - it had all the makings of a typical hot and humid day.

I had already put the cars and locomotives in position. But I told him we would only be running two trains today…one Eastbound and one Westbound.

The ten wheeler was poised to take Train #1 out of Green Springs.

Using the Switch List generated by TrainOps, we began assembling the train in Green Springs Yard.

Our first stop is the little town of Occoquan. Here we had traffic for Brunt Interchange, Mystery, Inc., and McCown Freight.

After switching it, we proceeded to Jackson, a switching assignment deemed “diabolical” by Bart. :wink:

Well, switching Mills Fuel, wasn’t too bad, but the town lived up to its reputation when we begin switching Buchanan Tool and Die - there just wasn’t enough room to move two cars in the limited space, so we had to move them one at a time.

Once done switching there, the remaining assignments seemed almost trivial.:wink:

So, we finished up Train #1 in about two hours and it was ready to start Train #2, originating in Lexington.

Our first stop is Jackson, and we get to find some new demonical switching possibilities. :wink: It could be that I need a bit longer passing siding - there’s barely enough room for the 5 car train. However, we leave the train on the passing siding and switch the newest siding, exchanging hoppers at the bucket coaling station.

We were so busy, I kept forgetting to get out the camera. But, Jackson lived up to its reputation, and we proceed to Occoquan - normally a milk run. This time, it was trying to compete with Jackson for switching challenges. I’ve got a longer passing siding there, but it was blocked by two cars using the LCL platform. Well, there was LOTS of moving of the cars.

Finally, we were able to take the train into Green Springs Yard, almost completing the run.

We still had to get a car from Oates Furniture, as well as sort the cars into the yard tracks.

We were pretty much done at 1:30 PM. A lot of fun packed into 2 trains and four hours of running.

Thanks for coming, Ken!

Great pics Bruce! Looks like the two of you had a great day.

Sounded like a good day was had. Thanks for the post.

It could be a hike, but come on down!

And it looks all nice and shady too. An adult beverage and head out with your train.

Yea, It was hot. Yea, It was humid. But there was some shade, a slight breeze and some good company which made made it all worth while. What makes it nice is you get to bounce different moves and ideas off each other while we’re “working”… Had a great time, Bruce, Thanks!

Looks like fun. By comparison my operations are pretty easy. There’s only one spot that I sometimes need to move a cut of cars out of the way, but there I have plenty of space to put them in one cut.

From the discussion in TrainOps I’m probably going to add an industry or two on the same siding as existing industries. That will require removing the cars from the nearest one to switch the furthest, but it still won’t be a puzzle.

Looks like a nice days operation… Congrats…

Kewl

Always worth watching. Thanks.

I dont know Ken, its too hot, its too cold. When you come up here Ill make sure the temp is just right for you :wink:

Look likes a good day. The advantages to having trees around, Keeps things a tad cooler. Bruce layout look good.

Shawn Viggiano said:

I dont know Ken, its too hot, its too cold. When you come up here Ill make sure the temp is just right for you :wink:

I certainly hope so…:wink:

It’s always great to see, and hear of friends operating the railroad together…thank you for sharing.

Hey, thanks for sharing. Always like to see/read other people operating their railroads. I do envy your shade !

cool lay out

Good stuff, thanks for posting - the pike and the shade all look good, Bruce! Good to see Ken enjoying hisse’f, isn’t it?

Bruce, sorry for the inane questions, but I’m always behind the curve.

Because I have suddenly become fascinated with switching and such–having read the article about building a small branch line module in the latest MR–I was interested in your post and got to wondering:

What kind of track do you use and whose turnouts (switches)? How are they operated (manually, electrically, pneumatically)?

What kind of couplers do you use and how to you uncouple the cars?

Do you use track power or battery?

What kind of control system (DCC, Airwire, etc)?

Looks like fun!

BTW, some outfit is now selling working gladhands like the ones you wrote about online, wasn’t it? Are ya getting royalties? :slight_smile:

Joe,

I use AMS code 250 flex track.

The switches are a real mix: Llagas Creek, Sunset Valley, but most are made by myself. All switches are operate manually, typically using the either a Ten Mille throw, Sunset Valley, or my own. (http://jbrr.com/html/switchstands.html)

Couplers are from Accucraft/AMS.

It’s all battery power, and I use the Aristocraft Revolution, typically coupled with Phoenix sound cards.

(As for the gladhands, let’s just say that they have made something much nicer than mine!):wink:

BTW, if you’re into operations you might enjoy some of my earlier posts:

Switching Jackson: http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/11972/search/view/post_id/107789

Switching Occoquan: http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/11918/search/view/page/1

An earlier session: http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/11657/search/view/post_id/102952

Thanks, Bruce. Not ignoring you. Opened all of your links. I’m just lost in thought and contemplation. Too many irons in the fire. Short attention span. Excited by a new household purchase but flabbergasted by how much it cost.

I have a copy of the last frame the the comic strip, “Non Sequitur,” which shows the Old Salt, who has just discovered his boat is half submerged, proclaiming in his New England accent, “Looks like ah good day fah drinkin!” I echo that statement. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Bruce. Not ignoring you. Opened all of your links. I’m just lost in thought and contemplation. Too many irons in the fire. Short attention span. Excited by a new household purchase but flabbergasted by how much it cost.

I have a copy of the last frame the the comic strip, “Non Sequitur,” which shows the Old Salt, who has just discovered his boat is half submerged, proclaiming in his New England accent, “Looks like ah good day fah drinkin!” I echo that statement. :slight_smile: