Large Scale Central

5 Way Stub Switch

A friend sent these to me. What a build that would be for you switch builders to tackle.

Pictures of a 5 way stub switch in New Zealand. When old time railroaders threw a switch, they sometimes called it, “Bending the iron”. That certainly applies here.

Can you even try to think about trying to insulate those frogs and guides?

Dave Taylor said:

A friend sent these to me. What a build that would be for you switch builders to tackle.

Can you even try to think about trying to insulate those frogs and guides?

Not to mention trying to find a 5-way harp switch stand…:wink:

Thats a work of ART!! battery power only.LOL

That wpuld be a full-time job to keep that switch adjusted! Really nice.

Marty you are right that is a work of art.

Imagine the crew when asked to build it. “you want to build what?” “that is going to require some overtime”

The most complicated switch I have ever seen is on the Mount Washington Cog Railway.

Are they fixing or tearing out this switch?

Looks like that sucker is accessing a roundhouse of some sort…I think a turntable would have been easier!

the bottom photo, favoite one. ah??? wonder how hard it would be in 1" scale???

I’m just thinking out loud…makes the brain go HHAA!!!

I understand

no sweat for dcc, just use the right autoreversers… Tam Valley makes hardware that would do it.

Love to see more pictures.

Greg

No more pics… sorry, those are all I got. But I would really like to see yours when you build it.

Hi it appears to be from the Rimutaka Incline railway.

The only picture I have found is http://www.flickriver.com/places/New+Zealand/Canterbury/McLeans+Island/search/

Mick

It only gets tricky when you’re down to smaller than HO, getting the soldering iron into the gaps will be a challenge. OTOH there are resistance soldering units and liquid solder paste, those together with printed circuit board ties could work. Nope, I’m not even considering it.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

FANTASTIC ! . . . unbelievable. . . . ! . . . thank you so MUCH for posting it. :slight_smile:

just the sort of thing to keep those “true to prototype” modelers on their toes. :slight_smile:

Research, . . . . research, . . whut railroad ? where ? . . .

Hi it appears to be from the Rimutaka Incline railway in New Zealand.

I almost wonder if there wasn’t a turntable there, and it was replaced by this to cut down maintenance.

Who’s going to model it?

I thought that HJ as going to whip up a prototype in N scale.