Large Scale Central

Latching reed switches

In my never ending search for the simplest method of doing things, I have come across what is known as a latching reed switch. In an article referenced on this forum. By whom I can’t remember just now, the writer talks of reed switches and how to modify them.

In one paragraph he has used a normally open reed switch and two magnets to create a latching reed switch.

I can’t say that I fully understand his theory. Here is an excerpt from his article;

"The idea is to glue a small magnet and the reed switch to a base so that the magnet keeps the switch’s contacts closed. When another magnet comes close it interacts with the first magnet’s field enough to open the contacts back up giving us a NC reed switch!

First glue the reed switch to a piece of Plexiglas or other non-metallic base material. I found that the reed switches that I used worked best if the reeds inside of the glass vial were held in a vertical position. Next attach an LED or other light and battery to the reed switch so that you can tell when its contacts are closed. Put the small magnet on the bottom of the Plexiglas and move it around until the reed switch’s contacts close and the light goes on. Now bring another magnet near the reed switch and see if the contacts open again. It will probably take a bit of experimentation, and at least 3 hands, but you should be able to find a position for the first magnet so that the reed switch reliably keeps its contacts closed but opens them when a second magnet is nearby. Once you find a location that works well glue the magnet in place. Below are three NC reed switches that I put together while testing. Each of them has a small reed switch on one side of the Plexiglas and a small magnet strategically placed and glued on the other side."

If he is using a normally open reed switch with a magnet placed so that the contacts are normally closed. Then passes a second magnet over the assembly, wouldn’t the contacts open for only an instant? I fail to see how this is a latching reed switch.

Short of reading the whole original write up I believe he likes doing things the complicated way since this is a modified NO reed switch held in NC position by one magnet and momentarily opens when the field gets canceled by a second magnet. One could just buy a NC reed switch and be done with one magnet. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8642

PS there are also latching reed switches http://www.meder.com/bistable-switches6.html?&tx_jppageteaser_pi1[backId]=2841 with a whole bunch of applications listed and explained.

http://www.meder.com/magnet_actuation_us12.html
Shows how it works… But that being said it would be a lot easier just to buy the right kind of reed switch in the first place.

Craig

Dan, All:

HJ & Craig hit the nail on the head: This is a high degree of complication with no real requirement nor reason.

Reed switches are available in all manner of combinations: N.C., N.O., bistable, power handing, as well as specialty units with a very wide variety of mounting possibilities. Prices start around $1.50, so it just doesn’t make sense to try to modify one. Just order what is needed!

You would also seem to be correct, that what has been ‘built’ is just a N.C. closed switch unit with momentary opening when the magnet is applied. That costs ~$4.50 from Mouser or similar suppliers.

Happy (Well Switched) RRing,

Jerry

Thanks guys. I found the latching reed switches on, where else, Ebay!

And you can get single coil or dual coil latching reeds with built in diodes in DPDT versions.

An alternative to reed switches might be Hall Effect devices. They’re operated by magnetic fields just as reed switches are. And there are latching types. Now the the disclaimer - I haven’t applied a Hall Effect Device in any of my automation circuits yet but I can see no reason why they should not work. When I’ve gained some experience with them I’ll post again.

Walt

Walt,

My experience with them says they need a much closer pass with the magnet than the reed switches do. They do work well and are quite reliable, provided they are mounted and operated within their limitations.

Bob C.