Large Scale Central

Automated Train Display questions

I am going to open a can of worms in this post.

First off this is something that I have some knowledge on and have done extensive research for over 15 years, but almost have given up recently on it really happening.

My existing railroad is a fallen flag now. And now want to put the railroad in that I have always wanted to do outside.

I have the design and it is not easy to find the computer control system that will make it operate.

My first system used was back in 1994 and discovered at a NMRA convention in Portland Oregon I believe. This system was called Railistic, but was only for DC trains. It had everything needed to run multiple trains and keep them from crashing into each other, love this system, but was not promoted well by the inventor and little or no support. Finally sold to a user who only wanted the documentation for his personal use. So the system died.

It had on each board 8 blocks and 8 control output, more boards could be Daisey chained for more blocks and control circuits, uses current sensing for the train detection, it could run trains bidirectional, collision avoidance, operate your turnout, block signals, crossing lights, etc. I very easy basic type language to be able to program each train what you wanted it to do. Extremely easy to wire up, run your block wiring to the 8 outputs and your other devices to the 8 control outputs and you tell the software what each dose in simple form.

I have looked and looked at what software and hardware is out there that I could use to replace this system and absolutely nothing has come close.

Many websites have for years promised all this future hardware and software and it turns out to be vaporware.

The layout I am using the Railistic system is in ‘N’ Scale right now with my design but want to now do a garden railroad size.

The layout consists of a Loop-to-loop railroad with staging yard, a complex shared yard, and engine maintenance facility, also a point to point trolley line is incorporated into the design and uses one passing siding of the loop to-loop main line.

The layout has 3 trolleys running P2P and 4 trains running L2L, total of 24 blocks plus all the switches, block signals and crossing lights.

Now what I would like is a system that is not a night mare of individual modules and wiring or a multiple combinations of companies to get the end result. A few OK.

It can be either DC or DCC but must have capable block power to handle normal engines and train sizes, 5 amps min.

I have started looking again so make your suggestions and let see what you come up as a replacement.

My motto is: Keep it Smart & Simple.

ZIMO together with STP controlled by a computer, will do everything you’re looking for.

Or you can go with Railroad and Co’s Train Controller together with a number of different DCC systems also via a computer.

As far as the Simple is concerned, there will be a learning curve of some sort, anything involving automation with a computer takes more than just two wires.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
ZIMO together with STP controlled by a computer, will do everything you're looking for.

Or you can go with Railroad and Co’s Train Controller together with a number of different DCC systems also via a computer.

As far as the Simple is concerned, there will be a learning curve of some sort, anything involving automation with a computer takes more than just two wires.

Thanks Hans, just downloaded the Railroad and Co’s Bronze version. It has been over 5 years since last looking at this software package. See some nice improvements.

Forgot how close this software is to the Raillistic setup from 1994 in editing and configuring your layout.

Will look seriously in using this, but still need to work on the DC/DCC options. I do have a RCI/TCL BD-8 and IO-8 board and will see if that will work for now in DC mode. Really want DCC for the extra features.