Large Scale Central

Li-Ion Battery Question

I’ve had good success with Li-Ion packs in my Porter. I have an 11.1V 2200mAh pack left over from that project and a spare RailBoss ESC and a Spektrum Rx. I’d like to put together a trail car for my diesel locos. I know that the single 11.1V pack won’t do it so here is the question…

1. Add a 7.4V 2200mAh pack wired in series to get 18.5V (locos run fine on an 18V drill battery) and charge separately at different voltages (my charger does not support 18.5V packs)
  • OR
  1. Add a second 11.1V 2200mAh pack wired in series to get 22.2V and simplified charging (charge in parallel as 11.1V)

I’m basically cheap and option #1 saves $4.50. I’m thinking option #2 saves a lot of aggravation and charge time down the road. It also leaves some pretty good voltage overhead in the pack.

OK, you convinced me. Option #2 it is.

Jon, I know little or nothing about Battery/RC, but I think I might be learning some along the way. I’d go with option #2 as well. FWIW :slight_smile:

Honest to GOD, $4.50? That’s not 3 beers. Oh wait, now I understand. That was a tough decision.

3 Beers? More like one of what I buy :smiley:

Edit to add: Good to see you posting regularly again. Marina work must be winding down for the winter.

Jon Radder said:
3 Beers? More like one of what I buy :D
See.

See edit above

Thanks, not all marina work. Did you get my email?

Yup. Replying now :slight_smile:

The LI ONS are running on heavy batteries these days…wait …aahhh never mind