Large Scale Central

Building a 1:20 Mikado

When I attended the ECLSTS, Rich Yoder was showing off his production EBT Mikado. It’s a gorgeous looking locomotive, but now that I’m retired, I find it even harder to justify spending more than I spent on my first car for an electric locomotive. The EBT had a number of Mikes. I liked the idea of building #12, as it was the smallest of the lot. Accucraft is planning to come out with one, but it won’t be cheap.

I started thinking; very dangerous, I know. The Aristo-Craft Pacific has 2.5" drivers - which scale out to 50" in 1:20, compared to the 48" drivers on the EBT Mikes. So, I decided to use this as a starting point. First, I “won” a Pacific off of E-bay. It looks a bit small next to my 1:20 10-wheeler, but I sure like those drivers. I suspect I’ll need another pair. :wink:

I used my Scale Print utility to print out a full size (in 1:20) scale drawing of #12 to compare and to use in planning.

Another thread (Problem: Tight back to back gauge on Aristo locos) details my disappointment with the gauge (way off!) and the oversize flanges, but that is now corrected.

Now it’s on to making it look much more like a Mikado. :wink: I quickly decided that I would NOT make a scale model of the EBT locomotive. Instead, I’d use #12 and #14 as inspiration. I had drawings for both, so I could use those to get an idea of what the parts should look like. First up is the trailing truck. Looking at the one that came with the Pacific, I thought that it might work.

It sits too far back from the drivers, but overall didn’t look too bad. I built a new frame to move it closer to the drivers and replaced the wheels with a 26" Sierra Valley set.

This could work:

Then some parts were fabricated from brass and styrene to change the overall appearance.

I think that’s the easy part. :wink: I don’t think I’ll be finishing any time soon, but I wanted to start a log detailing the construction; maybe I’ll get some good suggestions. :wink:

Bruce, I think you will have a lot of fun with it, looking good so far. Be flexible on your plans, I had to change mine several times on my Challenger, as I ran into un-forseen difficulties.

Your off to a great start. I have no doubt that it will be a beauty when you are done.

Once again I’m ready to retire!!!
:wink:

Cool project, and it looks like you’re off to a good start! I’m looking forward to seeing your progress on this.

Very cool. Keep the updates coming…

Jon.

I have one suggestion…build 2!

Can’t wait to see it in person. Hopes it done for the “Invasion!”

Thanks, guys. Ken, I’m sure it will be done for the “Invasion”. I’m just not sure what year. Jerry, my plans seem to change every minute! Cale, I can build another for a mere $2 billion. :wink: Here’s what the truck looks like when painted.

There’s a LOT left to do. I thought I’d take a look at the tender next, following Jerry’s advice from his Challenger conversion. The #12 tender is quite a bit shorter than the #14/15 tender.

Though I’m leaning towards #12, I think I like the longer tender better. I have a Connie tender that’s sort of available. My Mogul project didn’t work out as well as I might have liked, so I’m thinking of using some parts from that mod. Here’s the base of the Connie tender, against the drawing from the tender on 14.

It’s a tad short, so I’ll have to splice in some styrene. It’s also a bit too wide. So, I’ll be cutting off the sides to get the width right.

It’s time to order some parts. It looks like Plastruct will be my best choice - I need a boiler and some other pieces parts.

Bruce, more pictures as you go thru this rebuild, PLEASE Paul

Boy, that’s gonna be interesting to watch progress. Don’t worry about the mogul project. The boys at the TRR shops are looking forward to picking that up. That and EBT #3 are going to be next winter’s projects (because I can’t decide which one I want to do more).

Later,

K

…man, the pressure is ON. :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Sigh…does this mean I gotta start the WV&K’s Warbaby Mike now?

I thought you had started, Bart!

Bruce, Way cool project! Did you consider EBT # 11,she was a 2-6-2,with 48’’ drivers and probably wont be modeled by any one and will save you adding an extra driver. I have a plan for her in EBT book and she looks like baby # 12. I can send you a copy of plan if interested. Please keep posting your progress. Dave

Dave,
I’ve got those drawings, thanks. I really like the Mike, so I think I’ll stick with it. Not a bad idea, though.

Bruce Chandler said:
I thought you had started, Bart!
Nope.....but I do have 4 sets of drivers fer mine.........heheheheheheh

Oooh. Four sets. Nice. Are you building a new frame, or just splicing on?

I’m waiting for page 3 so we can discuss Star Wars…:lol: